10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2012 7:43 PM by MW Design

Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.

BobM1990 Level 1

Hi there

Since my computer is getting so stuffed with files that really are too big (old files which I created when I wasn't aware of better ways to reduce the filesize etc.) I've got a few questions.

• Lot's of my files are .EPS but in that case I have the original file in .PSD or .PDF (both possible filetypes to place in InDesign). What is the best filetype to place in InDesign, because having the same design and in .PSD and in .EPS seems a bit stupid to me?
      • What are the best possible options to place images and files in an InDesign file without creating a huge PDF file afterwards?
      • What are the best possible options to place images and files in a Photoshop file without making it huge?

Who can advice me some websites or books that can tell me everything about this subject? Since I've started my own Graphic Design company this is a very important subject to me because optimizing the filesize is something I still have a lot of problems with!

Thanks guys!

• 2. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I second Manish's recommendation of that posting. I was just teaching most of what David said in a Photoshop class I was teaching last night.

• 3. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
            BobM1990 Level 1

Anyone who has more info about what filetypes to use to place in InDesign, the filesize... ?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is no single best file type for import. The answer is highly dependent on what the intended purpose of your file will be, and what sort of files you have to work with. ID can accept most common  image formats and standard text formats, and in many cases the choice is not which would be better, but which of the many acceptable types do you already have.

• 5. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
                BobM1990 Level 1

Anyone else who can give me some more information on this subject?

Already many thanks for those who helped me yet!

• 6. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.

Bob,

It's probably best if you ask specific questions. It's a large subject, and (aside from the reference given), and the best things I've seen are hidden inside references books like Real World InDesign or Real World Photoshop.

But we have a very knowledgeable group here, and we'd be happy to share our experience if you ask something specific.

• 7. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
                    MW Design Level 4

Sure, I have an opinion but heed Steve's post above.

I keep original files. So if the original file is a PSD, I keep the PSD. If the original is an EPS out of Illy or another application, I keep that. For myself anyway, a PDF that is placed in ID is also kept if that is the referenced source in an ID file--but I keep the source of whatever created the PDF in the first place.

Example. I create a 300 megabyte PSD file. But what I end up placing in ID is a 100 megabyte TIFF. I really need both files as regards ID. Why? To work backwards, if I need to make a change in the ID publication, I need that TIFF available to redo a PDF. But what if the TIFF needs altered? I need the original PSD to make the change to regenerate the TIFF. I need both files available for use. But not necessarily both on my local hard drive, just the TIFF. So I will recreate the same working folder structure on a second drive and move source files (here the PSD file) onto it.

If the job is old enough, the whole shebang gets moved to the second drive. Well, I actually have two drives external to my working machine that jobs are synchronized to actually. But that's my work method.

Look. Storage media is cheap. Get a larger and faster hard drive for your local computer. If needed, get a 1-2 terabyte external drive and only keep on your local drive the files necessary to the layout application on your local drive and move the source files to the same folder structure on the terabyte drive.

Take care, Mike

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
                      BobM1990 Level 1

Okay guys, at the moment I am already looking for a new external hard drive from several TB's (maybe up to 6 TB). If you have any advice for these, let me know!

Then I have a next question: At the moment I'm working on a nice advertisement for one of my customers, with a lot of photoshop brush effects behind the pictures of the artists on the advertisement. But placing the pictures of the artists in the .PSD file makes the .PSD much bigger.

What do you guys do: placing the pictures in .PSD, adding the brush effects etc., rasterize the picture of the artist... Or do you place the pictures in the InDesign immediately on the separate .PSD file placed as background?

I know that these may sound stupid but I sometimes think that a lot of things should go easier than how I do it...

• 9. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.

Bob,

Keep in mind that there are forums for all the different Adobe products. You're presumably using Photoshop to do your brush effects and compositing. I'd suggest asking in the Adobe Photoshop forum for best results.

• 10. Re: Best file types, sizes etc. to import in InDesign etc.
                          MW Design Level 4

As for external large drives, I have been purchasing LaCie drives for mass storage. YMMV

I think the PSD file questions are germane insofar as their placement into ID. With complicated, involved and typically large PSDs, I usually save a copy flattened to TIFF for placement in any layout application. Smaller, less complicated PSDs I place directly in the layout app. What that threshhold for size and or complicated design in PS is, might be a moving target and I may not always be 100% consistent in judging it. I do know that if there are multiple types of transparency or blend modes in layers, I'll export everytime.

Take care, Mike