15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 11:41 PM by lordnihilus

Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10

lordnihilus Level 1

Hi guys,

I recently purchased Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements 10 to edit some wedding video.  I am experiencing some slow performance with the software (and random lockups for that matter).  My CPU usage shows nearly nil when using the program and with IE with multiple tabs open at the moment and the Premiere Elements open, I am showing that I still have about 5GB of RAM free.  However, I am still getting some slow performance from the software with random lockups.  The video came from a sony HDR-CX700V camera, it is all 1080P video and there is about 3 hours worth of footage added to my current project.  I imported the footage by just dragging and dropping the video folder contents into the "Project" tab within the program.

An example of the slow performance I get is this.  I added a Title card to start before the video.  When I hit play to see how it looks, the preview screen shows nothing, but you can see the time scrolling, then the video suddenly starts, but the video is really choppy.  I also had a heck of a time just adding that title card, as when I did it the program crashed once and locked up a couple of times.  Any ideas how I can fix this?  What other information would you need to help me further troubleshoot the problem?

My system is has an i7-720 with 8GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GTX260M with the latest driver from NVIDIA. 

TIA guys!

• 1. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One - your project must match your video... if you have a red line over the timeline immediately after importing the video, your project is wrong

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

If you have a red line over the timeline after importing a video and before adding any effects... your project is wrong for your video... read above about codecs

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

Two - how many hard drives do you have, and how is your project configured?

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 2. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
            lordnihilus Level 1

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.  It is sort of hard to take a screenshot of a video problem, now a screen capture, that might be helpful.  Anyhow, to answer your questions

The files are MTS files using AVCHD compression under an mpeg-4/H.264 codec.  BTW, mediainfo showed up as a virus, so I will have to pass on that one.  It could have been a false positive, but no use risking it.

1 hard drive, plenty of free space on it.  I backup elsewhere.

I do have a red line over everything in timeline view.  As I was using the other view prior to the issues I am having now, I do not know if it was green before.  The problem only started when I added the title card and the program crashed.  After opening the program to work with it again was when I started to see problems.

Can you clarify what you mean by "project setting" as that is a rather vague expression to use.  Also, shoul I just render the entire project to see if that changes the red line to green? TIA. 

• 3. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Parts 1 and 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials will show you how to set up a project and get media into it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

As John says, setting up your project correctly is vital to a successful editing session, so it's important to know EXACTLY what format, resolution and video codec you're working with. (Ideally, you should NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline.)

• 4. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                nealeh Level 5

The Project setting is applied when you create a new project (either within PRE or on the Welcome screen). You cannot change it once you create the project. If clips immediately show red lines when you add them to the timeline then, as John says, you have picked the wrong project setting. Until we can get that right for you your problems will remain. Those GSpot screeshots will help a lot.

2.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                  lordnihilus Level 1

I appreciate all the help guys!  I figured out why my AV was flagging mediainfo as adware and just ran the "portable" version of it.  Anyhow, here are some screenshots, please tell me if you need anything futher .  All the video came from the same camera with the same settings used when filming was taking place.  TIA again guys!

EDIT: I can't remember which option I selected when I originally setup the project, but I am fairly certain it was "Full HD 1080P 5.1 Surround".  My camera has a 5.1 surround mic system in it and this lead me to my choice.  I could be wrong though, because I did create the project file quite a while ago.

screencap 1.jpg

Screencap 5.jpg

screencap 2.jpgscreencap 3.jpgscreencap 4.jpg

• 6. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10

Can you confirm that you did not shoot in 1080p, a format not supported by Premiere Elements?

EDIT:

It appears from your first post that your video is shot in 60p, which would definitely explain your performance problems.

If you cam has the option to shoot in 60i (which apparently it does), shoot some test footage in 1920x1080 60i and load it into Premiere Elements with Full HD project settings. It should make all the difference in teh world!

• 7. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                      lordnihilus Level 1

Is there a way to use my current footage in Premiere Elements?  If so, what would be the ideal settings?

EDIT: I am looking at my camera now and it is set to 60i, which means it was set to 60i when this footage was taken.  What else should I do at this point?

EDIT 2:  I created a new project at the full HD settings and added a couple of clips and some transitions.  Timeline view only shows a red line over the transitions and no colored line over the video files at all.  All the videos play nice and smooth.  When I add a title card to the first position in the sceneline, things get choppy.  I then went to render work area and it smooths things out.  Which brings me back to the question, should I try rendering the other project to see if that fixes the problem?

• 8. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10

I'm sorry but the 1080p footage is simply not going to work well in Premiere Elements. It's possible though that you can use the program to convert it to a useable format.

You can try adding it to a project set up for Full AVCHD 1920x1080. Place all of the video on the timeline (though it might be best to do no more than 15-20 minutes at a time), right-click on it on the timeline and select Frame Blend. Then go to Share/Computer/MPEG and output a 1440x1080 30i video. (1440x1080 will produce virtually the same footage as 1920x1080, except that it is more easily compatible.) This will produce .MTS files.

When you've converted all of the video, open a new project set up for HDV. Editing this converted footage should be a breeze.

That's what I'd recommend anyway. Otherwise, the whole process is going to be a fight.

And remember to shoot all footage from here on out in 60i!

• 9. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                          lordnihilus Level 1

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology.  To clarify, the video shot is 1920x1080 60i.  Are you saying that Premiere Elements 10 cannot handle this?  If so, why would there be an option (the Full HD option) if the program does not support it?  Because in this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4332765

You told the user who has a similar camera to mine to import his video from his camera and select Full HD 1920x1080 and it should be fine. 

It is quite possible that I setup the project wrong on the original.  When I opened Premiere elements and created a new project, after the recommendations in this thread, it was defaulting to the 1440x1080 option.  I then selected the full hd with 5.1 sound option and tried it.  After doing that and opening subsequent new projects it was defaulting to the full hd with 5.1 sound option.  This could be an indication that I setup the project wrong, or just my imagination.

• 10. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                            nealeh Level 5

Once you choose a project setting that becomes the next default for other new projects. So if using a different camera, or different camera settings, you should always check that you use the correct setting by clicking 'Change Settings' (see image in reply 4.

The full HD 1920x1080i ought to work for you with the camera in 60i mode (= 30 full frame). However I suggest you set your camera and PRE to stereo rather than 5:1. As 5:1 on a camera is usually pretty poor and PRE cannot output 5:1 sound so why bother?

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                              appie-s Level 1

Hello,

I installed  the program on my Mac. Intel i7, 8gb ram. And really, I'm editing a movie for the first time in prel 10 and I'm very disappointed. It's far to slow and almost impossible to work with.

I just have a 'cheap' HD JVC camera. I' ve read about this issue in this forum but don't find a solution. I don't find this problem in iMovie. I know Adobe had always some performance problems but never like this.

I won't use the program anymore if there's no solution. Just feel sorry I lost my money.

• 12. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10

Since you are using a completely different computer, camcorder and project settings than the original post, you probably should start your own thread, appie, so we can have a separate discussion with you.

Please be sure to describe:

1) The resolution of your video and how you got it from your camcorder to your computer.

2) The exact model of JVC camcorder you've shot your video with. JVC makes  a wide variety of camcorders.

3) Which project settings you selected when you started your Premiere Elements project.

When properly set up on your machine, this program should fly.

Although it also sounds from your post like you may not be lookign for a solution and you just want to sulk. If so, that's fine too. We won't waste any time or energy helping you if you'd like.

• 13. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                                  appie-s Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I started a new post. (Don't know how to link to it from here).

• 14. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That would be by copying the link and pasting http://forums.adobe.com/thread/993514

• 15. Re: Slow performance from Premiere Elements 10
                                      lordnihilus Level 1

Thanks guys.  I think I got this beat.  Maybe.  I switched it to the 1920x1080 instead of the 1440x1080 and the red lines are gone.  It sounds like I had just set it up wrong.  Will update post if there is any new developments.