2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2008 9:14 AM by Newsgroup_User

Debugging Projector-only errors...

Level 7
      Does anyone have any good tips for tracking down bugs that happen only in
      Projector mode and not Authoring? It's really frustrating as I can't check
      anything. I used the Display Full Error Text setting to get error messages
      more descriptive than simply "Script Error", but even this isn't enough to
      be really helpful. All I get now are "Object expected" and "Index out of
      range" errors, with no clue of which script of the dozens I have running is
      causing the problem, and no way of checking variables to see who's out of
      range or whatnot. I couldn't even begin to know where to start looking for
      errors based on the bare-bones error messages I'm getting now...

• 1. Re: Debugging Projector-only errors...
          Level 7
          In your startMovie handler, put this:

the debugPlaybackEnabled=1

That way, once the projector starts, you will have a message window. It
          is not a full debugger, but it certainly helps. Remember to set it back
          to 0 when you do your final build of course!
          • 2. Re: Debugging Projector-only errors...
            Level 7
            > In your startMovie handler, put this:
            >
            > the debugPlaybackEnabled=1
            >
            > That way, once the projector starts, you will have a message window. It
            > is not a full debugger, but it certainly helps. Remember to set it back
            > to 0 when you do your final build of course!

I tried that. Doesn't work. I can't type in the Message Window because
            there's an error message that displays every frame, and it's modal, and
            won't let you type anywhere. As soon as you make the error message go away,
            a new one crops up, so you never get a chance to actually USE the Message
            Window for anything.

For the record, I did solve the problem in this case by sheer luck - I
            happened to notice that the FileIO Xtra was suddenly not included in the
            Projector, so it wasn't loading any of the data it needed, thus leaving
            several key property lists empty, hence "Object expected" and "Index out of
            range". This is pretty weird as the Xtra WAS included before, and I haven't
            changed anything in the included Xtras list in weeks, and I've created and
            tested dozens of projectors since then without a problem, so I don't get why
            this is suddenly cropping up NOW. Anybody ever heard of any case where a
            Director project suddenly forgets which Xtras it's supposed to have loaded?
            (And yes, I'm fully aware that I should probably remove all Xtras from the
            list and store copies of them in an Xtras folder with the movie - I may just
            do that to prevent this particular bug from occuring again.)