5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 1:41 AM by Peter Spier

Facing Master Page Header issues.

davisuals2 Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm setting up a master page which has a solid colour bar across for a header (a common thing I'm sure). The bar stops at the inside fold and another bar continues from that point (so if I need to change the direction of page or just have one single page from the master it would not go across the entire spread). This works well and good if two facing pages use the common master page but If I introduce a page without the header bar it then eliminates those bars.

Normal and Fine

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 3.26.44 PM.png

Reorder Page and it messes up (dark block dissapears)

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 3.27.49 PM.png

This is the facing master page.

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 3.30.15 PM.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

• 1. Re: Facing Master Page Header issues.
          davisuals2 Level 1

As a test I just did, I made a new master, copied the same layout in the original master. After Pasting it in and setting the master on the original page the block goes over the entire spread. I'm not really sure what's happening.

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 3.37.43 PM.png

• 2. Re: Facing Master Page Header issues.
            Michael Gianino Level 4

In the master page spread, the black bar is actually two bars (one on each page), right? Does the block on the right page touch the left page, or visa versa?

• 3. Re: Facing Master Page Header issues.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What version of ID are you using? Have you installed the latest patches?

• 4. Re: Facing Master Page Header issues.
                davisuals2 Level 1

The black bar is two seperate bars. Neither go across to the other page (using the snap feature to go to the inside fold). Oddly, when I reorder the pages, the black bars and others are extended across... all being one long bar across the double spread.

Peter, I'm running CS5, since your post I have updated to the most recent patch and there still seems to be an issue. I will try setting up a new document from scratch to see if that has any effect at all.

Cheers,

Will

Edit:

It seems to be an issue when Master page B is linked to Master Page A (doing this for the footer and page number). When disconnecting the two and having the same content on each master page there does not seem to be an issue. Unforunately this isn't the easiest fix cause if later the client doesn't like how the fotter looks I'd love the ability to just change one master page (that's the whole point isn't it?!). Still looking for a fix!

• 5. Re: Facing Master Page Header issues.
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try overriding the black bars from Master A on Master B so they would be editable if you wanted to work withthem on the master. I'm not saying you should move or change them, just override them onto Master B.