5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 9:38 AM by Peter Spier

New text frame settings

talltim1 Level 1

Hi, I have an Indesign file. When you create a new text frame it defaults to...

Font: Helserif

Size: 9.5pt

Leading: 12.047pt

Also the text is set to snap to baseline grid.

This isn't the basic paragraph style settings and basic paragraph styles is the only paragraph style in this document.

This happens if you add a new text frame to the document on any Mac and also on Indesign Server.

I know how to change the text and if I go into paragraph styles and select basic paragraph, and then any new text frames created is the default 12pt Times that does not snap to baseline grid.

But I need to know how it happens in the first place that you can have certain settings for new text frames added to document on any computer and these new text frames have no paragraph style, but do have bespoke settings.

Thanks in advance, Tim

• 1. Re: New text frame settings
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're talking about setting InDesign defaults.

If you want to set the font family, size, etc. for text when you create any new document, you make settings with no documents open (the "No Document" state). With the blank screen in InDesign, select the Type tool. On the Control panel, set the font family, size, etc. you want. When you create a new document, those will be the defaults for any new document you create when you create a text frame.

If you want to set defaults for a document you have already created, deselect everything. Then choose the Type tool and set the font family, font size, etc. When you make a new text frame in that document, it will have use the settings you created in that document.

• 2. Re: New text frame settings
            talltim1 Level 1

So the person who created that document, in order to make that the default setting for new text frames on that document, would of had to deselect everything, select the font Helserif, size 9.5, leading 12.047, snap to baseline grid etc, even though the 30 other text frames in the brochure do not use that font, size, leading, or snap to baseline grid... and only paragraph style is the basic one?

• 3. Re: New text frame settings
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, setting the default in an existing document does not change any of the existing frames in the document. It only choose the settings that will be used for NEW frames.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New text frame settings
                talltim1 Level 1

Thanks Steve. Just remains for me to ask the person who created that and ask... why? :-)

• 5. Re: New text frame settings
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

talltim1 wrote:

Thanks Steve. Just remains for me to ask the person who created that and ask... why? :-)

That sort of thing is usually a mistake. The user makes a change with nothing selected thinking a frame is active, or forgets to change back after using something odd.