12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 10:36 AM by AJScreenname

Running header and text variable help!

AJScreenname

I am trying to add a running header to a book I am creating but I cannot get the running header to work. I have read on the Adobe help pages and other sites online but still can't figure it out. I really just need a step by step on how to get this to work. I don't want to have to go through and edit the week number manually, but at this point I am getting frustrated. (Running CS5)

The header is "Week X". (The week number changes every 5 pages.)

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 12.19.21 AM.png

This is what the running header should look like:

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 12.27.12 AM.png

This is what I get when I try: (Blank!)

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 12.19.54 AM.png

One time I got the "Week 1" to appear but it was in the large text style, not the smaller size. I forget what I did to get that, so now all I can make happen is the blank text field.

What am I doing wrong?

• 2. Re: Running header and text variable help!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Running Header type variables work by picking up the value that is inserted from other text in the document. From your screen capture I can't tell if the week numbers actually appear somewhere else in the text.

• 3. Re: Running header and text variable help!
            AJScreenname Level 1

The "week 1" appears at the top of the page. It doesn't appear in any other part of the document.

So I want it to look like this:

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 7.40.58 AM.png

But I get this: ( With the blank spot at the bottom)

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 7.41.36 AM.png

THANKS!

• 4. Re: Running header and text variable help!

I don't understand the structure of the master pages here. Do all the pages for each week have the week number at the top as well as the bottom, or ar you trying to have a running footer that pickes up the week number from the first page of the week and it never appears elsewhere?

How many master pages are you using?

It might help if you posted a screen shot of the master page(s) rather than the document page.

• 5. Re: Running header and text variable help!
                AJScreenname Level 1

Sorry if it was confusing. I am trying to have a running footer that picks up the week number from the first page of the week that doesn't appear elsewhere. I have 5 master pages, but only one with the "week" at the top.

• 6. Re: Running header and text variable help!

OK, that makes sense.

Both the Week at the top (presuming you have Week <no> on the page someplace so it can be picked up) and the Week at the bottom can be the same variable. To get your formatting you format the paragraph that contains the variable, or the variable itself by slecting it and applying a character style. Variables are treated as a single character in the text string in which they appear. This means that you pick pick up the characters that are used in the variable, but don't have to use the styling that was applied to them, but it also means that you cannot mix formatting inside a variable, i.e. part of the variable cannot be italic unless all of that varible is italic. For mixed format variables you must build them in pieces.

If need be, you can put your week number someplace oon the first page of the week as a non-printing object in order to pick it up with the variables but not have it visible in the final output if the only place it should appear is in the variable locations.

• 7. Re: Running header and text variable help!
                    AJScreenname Level 1

I am a beginner so this is still confusing to me. I guess I don't understand how the variables work. I was trying to make it easier for myself but it is not ending up that way! I may just do it manually for now since there arn't too many instances for this project.

Do you know of a good resource to learn about variables and headers? I appreciate your help! Thanks.

• 8. Re: Running header and text variable help!
                      Prashant Bhatnagar Level 1

No need to confuse yourself buddy, its easier than you are thinking.

Take this for an example: A running header is a variable. It can be changed. You specify a Marker (Paragraph Style: xyz) on page 1 and from page two it is the running header. One page 5 your Marker changes and now this is the running header. Your Marker must be present in the copy on that page with a Unique Style applied to it so that InDesign can distinguish it to be the marker (Running Header) for following pages till it is replaced by another value.

Go step by step on the tutorial:

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1349397

• 9. Re: Running header and text variable help!

I haven't read the tutorial Prashant has mentioned twice, but it will probably help you. As he says, variables are basically pretty simple, though running head types are perhaps a bit more complex than some others.

Basically, a variable is a marker, in the same way that an automatic page number is a marker, but in the case of the running head variables ID looks for text that matches a particular style (your choice, when you define the variable, of Paragraph Style or Character Style, and also whether it is the first instance or the last instance of that style on the page (again part of the definition) and ignores other matches that might also be present on your page. If no matching text is present on a particular page, ID searches backwards in the document to find a match on a previous page (which is why having  the matching text on only the first page of the section will work). Variables can pick up both visible and "invisible" or non-printing text which is handy if you need to have a match on a page, but don't want that text to appear in output except where it is displayed in the variable.

Does that help?

The advantage to using the variable here is that you can use the same master page (or two master pages or however many different masters are used in one complete section) for all of the sections instead of making separate masters with the new header or footer information for each section.

• 10. Re: Running header and text variable help!
                          AJScreenname Level 1

I tried that tutorial but I wasn't able to get the result I needed.

Being able to use the same master page for all is the reason I wanted to use a variable.

Perhaps I was over thinking this process. But if I created a "week 1" in the same size as I want it in the footer, but make it invisible, then I should be able to acheive the results I am looking for. Let me try this. I didn't think about it that way before.

Thanks guys for your help I will let you know how it goes!

• 11. Re: Running header and text variable help!

You can put your invisible Week 1 anyplace on Page 1. Don't put it on the master page.

And don't actually make it invisible. I'm a big believer that non-printing objects should be in-your-face obvious so you don't forget they're there. I usually make them red.

• 12. Re: Running header and text variable help!
                              AJScreenname Level 1

FINALLY! Thank you both for your help. I used a non-visible and created a running character style text variable. This only took a day and a half but now I know how to do it. Much appreciated.