3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 5:06 PM by robdillon

Auto format breaking code?

gtr Level 1

I have a file which works fine, and check outs with "check syntax" (says "no errors), but when I hit the "auto-format" button in Flash CS 5.5, it throws and error saying I have extra characters. I've combed through the code for HOURS now and can't find the problem.

I did notice, however, that in one instance, it seemed to have removed braces in a function call and also added semi-colons after several function's end braces.

Is there something going on with auto-format? In a Google search, I've seen one or two guys post that it can't be trusted, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced trouble with auto-format messing with otherwise working code.

Sincerely,

Going Crazy.

• 1. Re: Auto format breaking code?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Yes, the auto format tool is pretty much a crap shoot. It will usually work just fine if you want to clean up some simple code, you know, when you don't really need it. But any page of code with any complexity, or one that's been edited a lot, and auto format is very likely to wreck your code rather than clean up the indentation.

I don't use it and I advise my students to not use it. Its yet another example of Adobe's attention to detail.

• 2. Re: Auto format breaking code?
            gtr Level 1

Thanks Rob,

I suspected as much.

How about the "check syntax" button? Is that function reliable?

JP

• 3. Re: Auto format breaking code?
              robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Yes, in the very limited sense that it only checks the syntax of the code. Check syntax doesn't check the authenticity of objects, or the appropriateness of events, just whether they fit the object type and are spelled correctly.