• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do you change the background colour?

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a book in Adobe InDesign but I don't know how to change the background colour?

Is there a method other than creating a rectangle?

i.e. A proper method

Also would it be against the rules if I was to ask if someone could convert my Microsoft Publisher 2010 book so that it is compatiable with Adobe InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you mean that you want to create a 'colored' background for your pages--creating a rectangle would be the way to go-probably as a master page and on it's own layer (bottom most layer, so it won't cover any page elements).

note: most users of Indesign create books to be printed on a specific paper stock, so changing background color is not a requirement and there is no 'proper method' per se.

there is no direct way, that I know of, to convert Pub files to Indesign---that said, it would be a somewhat daunting task as it would require recreating the entire project--there are some interim steps that could save you some work, but odds are you could lose some quality in any placed images or graphics--but here is 'one' method--open Publisher file in Publisher--save as PDF--then open each PDF page in illustrator (of course you'll need Adobe Illustrator) and copy/paste elements into an Indesign document (or you could 'save as [each page] either an .ai or .eps file)--most likely you will lose text formatting and any images/graphics will probably be low resolution screen captures (if you still have the original images/graphics they could be replaced in the Indesign file) it is possible that images may be OK, you'll need to experiment...like I said...a daunting task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a commercial product from Markzware:

http://markzware.com/products/pub2id/pub2id-store/

But he's asking someone here who has a copy to illegally convert a file for him without paying for the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one way to simulate paper color. You can redefine the Paper swatch. The advantage is that it only simulates it in InDesign but does not transfer to the output. If you need more details, I had cobbled together a blog post about this: http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2011/04/how-to-simulate-paper-color-in-indesign/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your suggestion  - exactly what I was looking for ...

Cheers

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines