9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 6:57 AM by Laubender RSS

How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?

123proust Community Member

Untitled-1.jpg

How can I make the upside-down quotation mark at the beginning right-side up?

• 1. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?
          Manish-Sharma Adobe Employee

You can select the quotation mark on the right-side and then go to Type-->Create Outline , and then transform the quotaion mark as you want with teh selection tool

Also you can look Glyphs in the Glyphs panel , may be you locate a one for upside down quotation mark.

• 2. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?

Surely there must be an easier way, a simple setting that will right all the upside-down quotes in my document at once...

• 3. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?
              John Hawkinson Community Member

You can select the quotation mark on the right-side and then go to Type-->Create Outline , and then transform the quotaion mark as you want with teh selection tool

That's a horrible solution, please don't do that! Create Outlines makes text uneditable.

123proust, can't you just copy-paste the character into Find/Replace, and replace it with a normal double-quotation mark? Should be really simple. Does that not work, or did you not try it?

• 4. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Have you checked to see what language is applied to the text? "Odd" quotation marks are, I believe, usually the result of applying a language that uses that particular style of mark.

• 5. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?

John Hawkinson --

Find/Replace finds all the beginning quotations marks: the upside-down ones and the normal ones. It doesn't discriminate. The document I'm working on was given to me like this.

Something is causing the beginning quotations marks to appear upside-down.

• 6. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?

Peter Spier --

Yes, I suspect the odd quotation marks are the result of a foreign-language setting.

I checked Edit>Preferences>Dictionary. The setting says English: USA.

However, when I click the Character tab, the setting says German: Old Rules. I can change this setting to English: USA but the quotes still remain upside down.

• 7. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?
                      SRiegel MVP

After you change the language in the Character tab, do a  find-change to find all quotation marks and change them to the same. This will cause InDesign to apply the new language to the re-inserted quotation marks.

Picture 2.png

• 8. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

123proust wrote:

Peter Spier --

Yes, I suspect the odd quotation marks are the result of a foreign-language setting.

I checked Edit>Preferences>Dictionary. The setting says English: USA.

However, when I click the Character tab, the setting says German: Old Rules. I can change this setting to English: USA but the quotes still remain upside down.

The language you select under Dictionary in the prefs is only a way to choose which dictionary vendor to use for that language, in those cases where more than one is availble. It doen't affect the language applied. That's a character level attribute. That said, you were actually in the right place. Below the vendor list you'll see a group of dropdown fields, one of which is double quotes. You can change the type of quote mark there.

That said, are you really sure the marks should be changed? They appear to me to be correct for German: Old Style Rules, so I would want to know why you are changing either the language or the composition rules for the language. I am not a multi-language typesetter, and I don't do German, so we might want to hear from someone who does, but I believe there are a number of different typesetting conventions for German depending on the usage.

• 9. Re: How can I fix upside-down (European?) quotation marks?
                          Laubender MVP

FWIW:

For German they used the wrong closing marks ("\x{201C}" is the right one).

And the wrong spelling ("German: 2006 Reform" is the right one).

The closing quote is already the right one.

Ok. With that in mind you could easily search/replace with GREP.

Search pattern opening quote (German) at the beginning of a word:

\x{201E}\<

Replacement pattern:

\x{201C}

Uwe