Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert editable picture into PDF form?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

I am creating editable marketing flyers for a client.  I'm opening my PDF (originally created in Illustrator) in Acrobat and adding editable form feilds for the end user to add their contact information to each piece.  The enduser also wants to add a photo with their contact info.  Is there a way to create this as part of the form?  Ultimately, I'm wanting them to be able to insert a picture into a specified area and not have to resize the photo.  Is this possible in Acrobat professional?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  I'm working in CS3 and Acrobat 8, on a mac.

Cheers,

Lilly

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

You can create a button and add a script to it that would prompt the user

to select an image file when that button is clicked. Then that image can be

displayed using the same button (buttons can show either an image or text).

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the users also using Acrobat, or Reader? If the latter, it can only be done with a form created in LiveCycle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer they be able to use Reader but it's not absolutely necessary.  How do you go about it if the users will be using acrobat?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a button and add a script to it that would prompt the user

to select an image file when that button is clicked. Then that image can be

displayed using the same button (buttons can show either an image or text).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to try and work with it and see how it goes.  I've never added script before.

You've been so helpful, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script in question is:

event.target.buttonImportIcon();

You need to add it as an Run a JavaScript-action to your button, triggered

by the MouseUp event, and of course set the button's layout to "Icon Only"

before-hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  Worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the instructions.  It saved me a TON of time and messing around.  Again, thanks for your expertise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also was needing this information, thank you. But when you insert a picture into the button, it is only allowing the enduser to insert a pdf into the picture button. How do I enable them to insert jpg, gif, png etc? My endusers will not be technologically savvy and will just be entering information into the given fields...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that Adobe Reader doesn't include anything to do image file conversion to PDF. So it could only add PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name wrote:

I read that Adobe Reader doesn't include anything to do image file conversion to PDF. So it could only add PDFs.

It (buttonImportIcon) doesn't work with Reader (6-10). It simply isn't available, regardless of usage rights, execution context, or anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It defaults to PDF, but you can change it to whatever format Acrobat is capable of converting to PDF, which includes many image formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great! How does one go about changing this preference? I only have experience with normal text fields, so thank you so much for your expertise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have misunderstood. I should have said "the user can change it..." by selecting one of the available formats. This is what is available for my installation:

buttonImportIconFormats.png

Note that the Microsoft options will only be available if those MS applications are installed on the user's system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean now. Thank you so much! we will be sure to include that with their instructions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum,

I'm back. The picture information worked great - for Macs. Is there a script that works on both Mac and PC? When the PC user mouses over, the hand shows up and highlights the button, but when they click it, there is no prompt for inserting a file. Is there something else I need to do? Would I have both scripts on there so it can be used by either pc or mac - i did see there was an 'add' button where the scripts go. Most likely it will only be a PC user with the pdf in the end, so that is more important as i can make a file for the mac user.

thanks so much for you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, this will not work with Reader. Can you confirm that the Windows user is using Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, i did not really read that 'fine print'. they are just using reader. they will be filling out the form. so is there no way for them to insert a picture in an editable pdf? I'm just making a basic form and all other fields work, we just need to be able to enter in an image. will we just have to make a template in Word? please say it isnt so....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have LiveCycle Designer, which comes with Acrobat Pro for Windows (but not Mac), you can create a form that includes an image field. Otherwise, we have to hope that they decide to restore this feature to Reader in the future, something for which I remain hopeful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/743823

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if by today's date: 07/09/13; this feature is available for the acrobat pdf.

Specificly, for a work order; I want to place a google map and a street view image of the customer's home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have access to livecycle I have just found the following which may help...

http://ask.metafilter.com/186227/Is-there-a-PDF-form-element-that-allows-you-to-browse-and-insert-a-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much. sorry for your need to be repetitive as i looked over that information before. i appreciate all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next to the File name box there is a drop down menu that originally will show Acrobat PDF Files, but you can just click on the little down arrow and select JPG instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in the actual version of Acrobat Reader DC you can use JPG in image fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"actual" here meaning latest: the January 2017 update to Reader DC can now do JPEGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the button with java script set up in my form using Acrobat DC, but when I try to insert a .pdf or .jpg using Reader DC the image does not show up or print. Still just see the gray box from the button. How can I get the image to show? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines