4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2008 3:08 AM by GerryIsHere

Hyphenation in Flash?

GerryIsHere Level 1
      Hi !

Could somebody tell me if it is possible to apply hyphenation to a dynamic text field ?

Thanks for your replies.

Best regards,

Gerry
        • 1. Re: Hyphenation in Flash?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          if you mean you want to add a hyphen to the text property of a textfield, that's no problem. if you mean you want to hypenate the instance name of a textfield (or any other object/variable), then no.
          • 2. Re: Hyphenation in Flash?
            GerryIsHere Level 1
            Thanks for your reply, kglad.

What I mean is that for aesthetics reasons, I want the text a scrollable dynamic text field (received as the result of a search) to be hyphenated.
            Hyphenation is commonly applied in applications like Illustrator, Word or InDesign to justified text to avoid irregular word spacing.

I asked this question because I didn't find anything related to this topic in Flash Help...
            • 3. Re: Hyphenation in Flash?
              rlc5611 Level 1
              So you want Flash to recognize your words in your language and correctly separate them into syllables for word wrapping rather than wrap at the whole word?

Here is an old thread about that
              • 4. Hyphenation in Flash?
                GerryIsHere Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: rlc5611
                So you want Flash to recognize your words in your language and correctly separate them into syllables for word wrapping rather than wrap at the whole word?

Thanks for replying rlc5611 !
                You are 100% right, this is exactly what I am looking for.
                I'll give a try to the code which is in the link you provided.

I think this is a major lack of Flash not to offer hyphenation as a basic text field property (alongside as an option to Justify in the Properties Panel).
                Most popular applications have this built-in option which is essential to give text a readable and good-looking appearance.
                A major lack as Flash is more and more often used as an interface for building entire Website...

Best regards,

Gerry

PS: Do you have any address of an online dictionary in French?