5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 11:00 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere elements 10 & MT2 files

rmpics

Does anyone know if Premiere elements 10 is able to import and read MT2 files?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 10 & MT2 files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Absolutely!

As long as you set up your project properly for your camcorder source.

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 10 & MT2 files
            rmpics Level 1

Thanks Steve.  Quick query then:

I am editing two different types of files into one project - .mov & MT2 files - they will both be imported from the computers HD having previously been transfer across from a CF card. 

Anything particular I should watch out for when setting the video up?

Thanks for your help. 

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 10 & MT2 files

Yes. You should not mix the MOV and the MTS/M2T in the same project. Each video format and resolution demands its own unique project settings.

Your MOV could be made up of any of hundreds of possible codecs, frame rates and resolutions, so I'm not even sure which project settings it would require. In fact, if this video is from a still camera, it will not likely even edit well in Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 10 & MT2 files
                rmpics Level 1

Ok I thought this might be the case.

One set of files is from a Canon EOS 5d - the .mov ones.  I am not sure what the other is from.

Both sets of footage need to be compiled and edited into one video. So am I right in saying that Premiere Elements 10 is not capable of doing this?

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 10 & MT2 files

Premiere Elements is perfectly capable of working with the MTS files from an HDV or AVCHD camcorder.

It is also perfectly capable of working with video from a Canon 5D.

But each of those video formats requires the program to be set up differently. (AVCHD project settings for the former; DSLR project settings for the latter.)

You can use the program to convert each to a common format so that you can combine them in the same project. But, no, I would not recommend combining them in the same project in their native formats.

You're welcome to try, of course. If you do, AVCHD may be your best choice (assuming the 5D video was shot at 1920x1080.) But I can't guarantee it won't lead to trouble later.