2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 2:59 PM by Androzs

Degradation of Photoshop Elements subtitle in Premiere elements

Androzs

I have recently switched to the Windows version 10 package of the two programs.  Previously I used the versions 5 & 3 package.

I am making essentially a "silent movie" or slide show, which will be a standard 48kHz NSTC digital video, to be played as background at a function, with a number of text "slides" explaining the pictures and separating them.  I am not able to make these in any easy way in PrE, which is a limitation I have

lived with before.

However, when I make the text slides in Photoshop Elements, 720x480, with 72 point Adobe Caslon, solid background, I get "slides" that look perfect in Elements and look perfect in the Clip Monitor, but when I insert them to the timeline, they turn to unacceptable waste matter.  The background colour is degraded to a more muddy tone, the lettering has "fringing" or "halo" around it, as if it were somehow embossed, and it is unsharp.

What is the solution?

Thanks for your help,

A

• 1. Re: Degradation of Photoshop Elements subtitle in Premiere elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you making your text files transparent, Androzs? Some file formats (JPEGs for instance) compress the video data, and that can cause some fringing.

But, if you use a backgroundless PSD image, you should get very good results. At least after you've rendered the timeline (by pressing Enter) so that the red lines above all the clips on the timeline turn green. (You may also want to make sure that your Monitor is set to Best Quality, by right-clicking on it and selecting the option.)

Please tell us more about your workflow if you want us to dig deeper.

• 2. Re: Degradation of Photoshop Elements subtitle in Premiere elements
            Androzs Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick response.

The solution that works best for me is to make a solid colour picture in PhE 720x480, and use that in PrE to insert into the timeline whenever I need a separator/subtitle.  Then in PrE use the the Title option to add the words.  It does not matter whether the solid colour picture is JPG or PSD.  There is no degradation problem.

(Incidentally, once you have hit the Title button, there seems to be no "cancel" and you will end up with a title willy-nilly, which you than can subsequently delete.)

The real problem is the degradation that I mentioned, and I wonder if this applies across the board, too, but I have not had the time or the acuity to check it out.

First of all, everything works just fine in PrE 3.  This problem is only is PrE10.

When I make the text slides in Photoshop Elements, 720x480, with 72 point Adobe Caslon, solid background, I get "slides" that look perfect in Elements and look perfect in the Clip Monitor, but when I insert them to the timeline, they turn to unacceptable waste matter.  The background colour is degraded to a more muddy tone, the lettering has "fringing" or "halo" around it, as if it were somehow embossed, and it is unsharp.  This applies to both JPG and PSD text slides.

I do not know if pictures can be uploaded in this forum, or if I should upload the material to Rapidshare, but in the meantime I will try to do a verbal description.

The solid colour picture, done in PhE, has the following numbers: H 45, S 90, B 93, R 238, G 184, B 23.  The text is then done in Adobe Caslon 72 points, total black.  It all looks perfect, and remains perfect in PrE3.

in PrE10, loading the picture into the Clip Monitor everything still looks fine.  But inserting the picture into the timeline brings the degradation.  I have taken a snapshot of the result, after rendering, and examined the BMP file in PhE.  Throughout the picture, not in the immediate vicinity of the text, the numbers now are:  H 45, S 100, B 71, R 180, G 135, B 0.  In the immediate vicinity of the text the numbers are the same with the following exception: B 80, R 204, B 154.   In some locations there is fringing by the text so that the numbers are:  H 45, S 87, B 100, R 235, G 198, B 34.

I am flummoxed.

A