6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2012 2:02 PM by John Waller RSS

What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?

StamperCat Community Member

I just purchased Lightroom 4 less than 2 weeks ago from Amazon and paid $161.96. Now I see they are offering it for $99.00 with a Photoshop CS5 upgrade. I haven't been able to find anything about any compensation for new users to Lightroom.

• 1. Re: What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?
          gregkmeyer Community Member

There isn't any.

• 2. Re: What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?
            John Waller CommunityMVP

I haven't been able to find anything about any compensation for new users to Lightroom.

Why would there be any?

You took advantage of a deal you were happy with at the time. Case closed.

If you didn't see the $99 deal, you'd still be happy..

• 3. Re: What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?
              Geoff the kiwi CommunityMVP

Let's keep this cool please.

Now are you wanting to purchase PSCS5? If you do I would suggest you call Adobe support in your country and explain the position. If not, it doesn't matter to you.

• 4. Re: What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?
                StamperCat Community Member

I chatted with online help about this situation and he gave me a phone number to call. I called the support line and after 30 minutes of going over everything, giving them the serial number, etc. I was told I could return the software to Amazon and call them, Adobe, and have the serial number deactivated. I tried to get through to her that the software was already installed and Amazon wouldn't be accepting it as a returned. I fianlly just gave up and I'll eat the $61.00. Not worth my time to hassel with this company. I just assumed there would be a proceedure for this since they have policies for time periods when a customer has recently bought Photoshop and a new upgrade comes out. It is still early and they may offer some compensation, as I can't be the only person in this situation.

BTW John Waller, I got no deal on the Lightroom I bought. I believe that was full price. The only reason I even thought about asking for some compensation was I had ordered from Amazon less than 2 weeks ago and had actually only received it about a week ago and had not even had time to register it with Adobe.

Geoff, I intend to upgrade from PSCS5 extended to PSCS6. Thanks for your response.

• 5. Re: What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?
                  Butch_M Community Member

It can be disappointing when you miss out on a bargain ... it can also be a bit troubling when there is a major shift in pricing. Take for example those of us who have been using Lightroom since the beginning. We paid full price for Lr v1, and full price for the upgrades to Lr v2 and v3 (sure some of us may have used coupon disconts but hang in there) ... then comes along Lr v4 and new users get a whopping 50% discount going from $299 to $149 for the full version ... but those of us who have been paying the freight for six years or so ... only receive a paultry 20% reduction in price ... not a very fair method to reward your loyal user base. At that rate, if pricing stays in line, it would take us over seven upgrades, or about 14 years to attain the same price break that new users received in a single purchase ... Nothing is fair in business it seems ...

• 6. Re: What Compensation for New Lightroom owners?
                    John Waller CommunityMVP

StamperCat wrote:

BTW John Waller, I got no deal on the Lightroom I bought. I believe that was full price.

My point was that you were happy with $161.96 at the time. That's a deal whether there was any so-called discount or not. Earlier versions of Lightroom were $299+ so you got a great deal.

It's always disappointing when you see the same thing on offer cheaper later. Adobe's competing in an ever changing market and trying to find the right price point for their target market.

Be happy with owning excellent software and just chalk up seeing cheaper prices elsewhere 2 weeks later to experience. That'll always happen.

Someone paying $99 today may be disappointed to see Lightroom included (apprently for "free") in the CS6 Creative Cloud subscription model soon.