8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 6:04 PM by Pete.Green RSS

CS6 and Vista

peter.j

Will Photoshop CS6 run on Windows Vista 32 bit?

All references I can find only refer to XP SP3 or Windows 7.

If you can point me to where this is specified, that would be even better.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: CS6 and Vista
          Pattie F Employee Hosts

Photoshop is not officially supported on Windows Vista, but in many cases it will run on it.

The system requirements are posted on this site: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

Product details tab, system requirements at bottom:

Pattie

System Requirements

The minimum system requirements for Photoshop CS6 beta are as follows:

Mac

• Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
          • Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
          • 1GB of RAM
          • 2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation
          • 1024x768 (1280x800 recommended) resolution display with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB recommended, required for Photoshop Extended) of VRAM
          • OpenGL 2.0 capable system
          • DVD-ROM drive

Windows

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
          • Microsoft® Windows® XP* with Service Pack 3; or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
          • 1GB of RAM
          • 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation
          • 1024x768 (1280x800 recommended) resolution display with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB recommended, required for Photoshop Extended) of VRAM
          • OpenGL 2.0 capable system
          • DVD-ROM drive

This software will not operate without online registration and activation. You must accept the license agreement to use this product.

* 3D features and some GPU-enabled features are not supported on Windows XP. Get more information about OS and XP support.

• 2. Re: CS6 and Vista
            peter.j Community Member

Thank you, this is a little more than I had been able to find out, though it leaves me with the possibility of making a significant investment in Photoshop only to find I need a new computer to run it!

I'm hoping that since I am running CS5 successfully on Vista, then CS6 will also run.

I reaslise that since Vista is not officially supported, your statement is as good as I could hope for,

Many thanks.

• 3. Re: CS6 and Vista
              Pete.Green Employee Hosts

Make sure you're working with Vista SP3, it won't install on Vista sp1 or 2.

Give it a try with the beta.

• 4. Re: CS6 and Vista
                peter.j Community Member

Thank you, this is encouraging.

I have downloaded and installed the Beta on Vista SP3.

It is working well, no issues so far.

Maybe it's not so much that it will not work, as that Adobe choose not invest the resources to test/support it on Vista.

If that's the case, it's fine by me.

If there are bits that don't work on Vista, it would be helpful to build up a list.

Much appreciated.

• 5. Re: CS6 and Vista
                  R_Kelly Community Member

Are you sure there is a sp 3 service pack for windows vista? I thought the latest was sp 2.

• 6. Re: CS6 and Vista
                    peter.j Community Member

Whoops, you're right.

It's my XP system that is on SP3.

Apologies for confusion.

• 7. Re: CS6 and Vista
                      R_Kelly Community Member

That's okay. I just wanted to see if had missed something about the vista service packs is all.

• 8. Re: CS6 and Vista
                        Pete.Green Employee Hosts

You're right, There is no Vista SP3.. My mistake!

I meant to say, Photoshop won't install on Vista (no SP), and SP1... SP2 you CAN install on, though not necessarily supported or tested.