3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 5:21 PM by rob day

Checking PDFs from various sources for Press Compliance

johnd59898678 Level 1

I have spent years learning how to prep Press PDFs to send to various print shops, but for the first time I have an InDesign Project for a magazine in which other people are submitting PDFs to me (as Ads) for me to place throughout my InDesign Document.

How can I know if these PDFs will print correctly (i.e. that they are all CMYK, fonts embedded, etc)? I have never had to diagnose other peoples work on how they prepared their PDFs and if they will work on press?

Thanks for any tips!

• 1. Re: Checking PDFs from various sources for Press Compliance
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could request that all PDFs meet the PDF/X-4 standard (are exported via ID's PDF/X-4:2008 preset). In AcrobatPro you can check for compliance.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Checking PDFs from various sources for Press Compliance
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to be clear, PDF/X-4 files can include RGB with profiles which would retain the original color values. If they were to check these in Acrobat, they will show the RGB in the files.

But they wanted CMYK output only, so they'll need to choose PDF/X-1a when they output the final project to convert the RGB to CMYK.

When opening the PDF/X-4 file in Acrobat 9 or X, the Standards panel on the Navigator pane (left side) will verify that the PDF/X file is compliant.

• 3. Re: Checking PDFs from various sources for Press Compliance
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right, but when the Magazine is exported the conversion to (the correct) CMYK destination could happen because RGB source profiles have to be included. The OP could decide to force everything into one CMK space on his export (PDF/X-1a) or defer the conversion to the printer (PDF/X-4).

If the incoming PDFs don't comply to a standard they could include RGB objects with no source profiles. If the ad maker exports to PDF/X-1a they have to use the correct destination profile, which will be much harder for the OP to enforce.