2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2012 8:45 AM by neebster2020

Improving hard drive performance with onboard RAID.

neebster2020

After completing a recent PPBM5 test and being disappointed I would like to improve the disc performance of my system and would appreciate the thoughts of the forum.

System:

MB: Asus P6X58D-E

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz

RAM: 12GB (6 x 2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR

Graphics: 1.28GB Asus GTX 470 3.3GHz

My current hard drive set-up is:

OS (Win 7 64bit)

WD Velociraptor

300GB

10,000rpm

Storage

Seagate Barracuda

1.5TB

7,200rpm

SATA II 3Gb/s

Media

Seagate Barracuda

1.5TB

7,200rpm

SATA II 3Gb/s

Project/Source Video

Samsung Spinpoint F3

1TB

7,200rpm

SATA II 3Gb/s

Media Cache/Page File/Export

Samsung Spinpoint F3

1TB

7,200rpm

SATA II 3Gb/s

Drive Bay (back-up and archive)

Various bare drives

My motherboard has 6 x 3Gb/s and 2 x 6Gb/s SATA ports and has an onboard RAID, using an Intel ICH10R Southbridge controller.  The motherboard also has USB 3.0.  I have a DVD drive using one of the SATA ports.

Although I understand the principal of RAID I’ve never used it before.  So, what would be the best way of improving performance?

I presume that as all my drives currently have data on them I’ll have to copy this data to another drive before formatting them and then creating the RAID drive.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Improving hard drive performance with onboard RAID.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Before going into all different disk setup configurations, it looks like you first need to tune your system.

First check: How many processes are running if you use Process Explorer? More than 50? Then you can kill a number of them. Do you have indexing and compression turned off on all your disks? Have you cleaned up your disks and defragged them? Have you applied the Black Viper suggestions to the services running? Have you cleaned the media cache?

• 2. Re: Improving hard drive performance with onboard RAID.
            neebster2020 Level 1

Thanks Harm.  I've gone through your suggestions.

As my computer has to function for several other tasks in addition to video editing, I realise that I will have to compromise somewhat on the performance to make sure that it's still useable for other things.

• Using Black Vipers tips I've reduced the processes running from 100+ to 89.
            • Indexing and compression turned off for all drives except Storage, which isn't used for video related tasks.  Although it wouldn't surprise me to learn that having any indexing turned on will have a degree of drain on resources.
            • Discs all defragged.
            • Media Cache cleared.

Any further advice on how to optimise the hard drives would be very much appreciated.