3 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 7:28 AM by videoarsim

Overclocking an Intel i7 930

neebster2020 Level 1

In the search for better performance I am interested in overclocking my Intel i7 930 processor. I would very much appreciate any guidance as to the process and steps which need to be taken to increase the speed while still being stable.

My System:

MB: Asus P6X58D-E

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz

CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator CPU Cooler

RAM: 12GB (6 x 2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR

Graphics: 1.28GB Asus GTX 470 3.3GHz

Case: Coolermaster ATCS 840

Many thanks.

• 2. Re: Overclocking an Intel i7 930
          neebster2020 Level 1

Thanks Harm.  I read that thread and several other guides.  I'm still trying to get my head around what needs to be changed.  There are so many options and many of them have different names, so following them through the different guides is difficult.

I did find someone who had posted the details of what BIOS items they'd changed for the same MB and CPU, which I tried.  I did boot into Windows and run the Prime95 TortureTest for about 5 mins before I decided that although it was working and the temperatures were fine, I really felt that I needed to find out more about what settings I need before committing to keeping it overclocked.  It was running at 3.5GHz.

I'd like to get the CPU close to 4GHz, however as I won't be using the full power of the processor all the time I'd like to keep some power saving features, like SpeedStep.

If anyone has the same motherboard, processor and memory that I do and would like to share their overclocking settings or experience, I'd very much appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Overclocking an Intel i7 930
            videoarsim Level 1

Hi, Neebster,

Here is the link to overclockers website. There is some settings belongs to your motherbord, just scroll down. Be aware that all chips are different, not all going to 4Ghz with air cooling, but at least try. Read all tread. There is a lot of info to understand overclocking at all.

ART