3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 7:37 AM by Dave LaRonde

Converting 30fps progressive footage to 25 fps interlaced CS5.5

creazer Level 1

I have received a job from a client who originally booked another company to do the filming and editing. They gave me footage which had been filmed progressive 30fps. I called the company that filmed it and asked them why they filmed it 30fps when it's supposed to be a PAL job. They told me that they did it on purpose to get better slow motion. Would anyone have any idea on how I would do this? Would I do it through after effects? They use MAC so they couldn't assist me in how I should do it.

here is the clips meta data which they supplied me with.

30fps meta data.jpg

• 1. Re: Converting 30fps progressive footage to 25 fps interlaced CS5.5
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You need to talk to the client: was this footage shot intentionally at 30p so that it could be slowed down a bit to 25fps?

If the answer is "yes", you can simply conform the the 30p video to 25, and life should be good.  Bear in mind that it won't be much slower. 

If the answer is "no", you would either have to do a software or hardware frame rate conversion.

If the answer is "I was told it would be about 2 1/2 times slower", you'll still have to go the frame rate conversion route.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Converting 30fps progressive footage to 25 fps interlaced CS5.5
            creazer Level 1

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. We usually slow the speed duration to 25-50% because we're doing wedding videos so the shots look nice and romantic. The company that filmed the footage purposely filmed it 30fps so it could be slowed right down and look really good.

If I need to use software to slow the footage down, which software would I use and how would I do it?

Here is a sample of my work so you can see what I do...

https://vimeo.com/40931204

• 3. Re: Converting 30fps progressive footage to 25 fps interlaced CS5.5
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Saad Khan wrote:

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. We usually slow the speed duration to 25-50% because we're doing wedding videos so the shots look nice and romantic. The company that filmed the footage purposely filmed it 30fps so it could be slowed right down and look really good.

Sorry, but those guys didn't do you any favors by shooting at 30p.  You would have had just the slo-mo you wanted if they had the ability to shoot at 60p.  It can be done at 720 rather than 1080, and it's well-worth doing so.

To get the footage as it is to slo-mo, first conform it to 25fps, then slow it to 50% of normal speed.  If it doesn't look very good to you, you may have to get a third party plugin like Re:Vision's Twixtor, which I THINK (I don't know for certain) is available for Premiere.

There may be some other slo-mo tricks in Premiere, but I'm just starting to learn it so I don't know for certain.  I may just give up learning CS 5.5 and concentrate on CS 6 since Adobe's made big changes to the application; there's nothing to be gained by learning something that's obselete.

Sorry, my work computer doesn't allow me to see Vimeo.  It's a pain.

1 person found this helpful