6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 2:34 PM by Harm Millaard

Computer Freezes during Playback, Render and Scrubbing in Premiere Pro CS5.5

dbldwndrew

CPU - Intel i7 980 3.33GHz

RAM - 12GB (6 x 2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600

PSU - 850watt Corsair

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

C: Drive - 600GB Velociraptor (with only program files stored on the drive)

OS - Windows Ultimate 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1 (up to date)

Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium (with all updates)

My problem occurs only in Premiere Pro CS5.5 and not with any other Adobe programs, including After Effects.  Playback, scrubbing, or rendering in my Premiere Pro timeline causes the computer to freeze.  When it freezes I cannot move the mouse, I cannot use the keyboard, there is no automatic shutdown, and there is no BSOD.  The computer just freezes, forever, and needs to be shutdown manually.

This problem began a few weeks ago, only happening occassionaly.  Recently the problem has escalated to the point that I cannot use Premiere Pro CS5.5 for more than 30 seconds before it freezes.

I have several different Premiere Pro projects saved to a 1TB WD Black Caviar HDD.  In some of the projects I am using Cineform converted .mov files and in others I am using the raw(compressed) footage directly from a Canon DSLR.  This dedicated harddrive has 60% free space.

Mercury PLayback Acceleration is enabled, and I have been successfully using Premiere and the rest of the creative suite intensively since October 2011 with absolutely NO problems.  I cannot remember the system ever crashing once during this time period, until now, which is remarkable.  All software on my computer is legitimate, and there are no third party codecs installed.

What can I do to fix this problem?  All help is extremely appreciated.  THANK-YOU!

Drew Norton