2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 2:49 PM by Rick.Blacker

Can the AIR app.xml file be used to add our own project settings?

Rick.Blacker

I have some settings that I'd like to be able to put in a config file. Does the air framework have support allowing us to use an air applications app.xml file as a place to put our custom config settings?  And if so, is there an API for accessing those settings?  Or, do I need to define my own config file and access it?

Thanks

Rick

• 1. Re: Can the AIR app.xml file be used to add our own project settings?
          aktell2007 Level 1

It is difficult to understand your request for me, but there are two items I would think of:

1. The main internal info config App. file is compiled.
          2. A config file which can be Imported at start up or the best way written at start up (in Xml) and stored in one of the storage directories or the desktop for any use during operations, and once installed is there in storage so available at all times for the live duration of the Application on that computer.

Your text does not convey for what purpose you need to use a config file, but I found the Xml writing and reading version the best as you not only can write the file but also alter it if need be in re-writing it in the Application itself. You can use all the data in the Xml file at all times during running the App. yet any re-write which is instant to the Xml file has to be initialized and therefore only can be used after a re-initialization through a ReBoot - ReStart of the App.

I hope this is of some help ! regards aktell2007

• 2. Re: Can the AIR app.xml file be used to add our own project settings?
            Rick.Blacker Level 1

The file is used to just contain configuration data. Things like URLs to certian internal servers of ours. Just application operation configurations that I don't want to hard code into my app, rather have a configuration file that lives out side that gets read.  I realize that I can create my own XML file and read properties that way, but I was wanting to find out if AS3 had some out of the box methodolgy for this, don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.