5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 3:45 PM by capitainerie

Scaling question

medmarketing Level 1

In Indesign CS4 ( all all versions going back to IN2.2 as far as i can remember). when I scaled stuff, i clicked the black arrow. clicked on the scale tool. then clicked exactly where i wanted reference scaling point to be. the scale tool would automatically scale to where i clicked. (of course, holding the shift to keep 100% Heigh/width.)

In CS5.5 indesign. I only have the ability to scale from the top left corner. this makes layout very painful. painful to the point of being unusable.

have not used cs 5.5 indesign much because of this terrible feature/flaw.

was thinking about going to CS6 for indesign, but if the scale tool is still so flawed, I will be forever in CS4.

is there some setting that makes scaling stick only to the top left corner that somehow has always defaulted to?

can scaling/resizing functionality be restored to its CS4 and prior beloved-ness?

• 1. Re: Scaling question
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Its same as CS4 I beleive , can you check the reference point on the top left of the control panel ,

It will be a set of the 9 small square with the top-left as black.

Select the centre one (it will turn into black) and then check.

• 2. Re: Scaling question
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Slightly modified behavior. As Manish mentions you can select any of the transformation proxy points, or you can hover the tool over the anchor indicator until you see the cursor change, then click and drag the indicator to wherever you want it.

• 3. Re: Scaling question
              medmarketing Level 1

Thanks.

no, it is highly modified behavior.

in CS4 and before, to scale. you click on image or anywhere, that point becomes a little crosshairs.

when doing so, the 9 point box will have no defined blank points. you can scale from anywhere in any direction to immediately fit any space. truly magical feature in retrospect now that it has been taken away.

in CS5, you only get the 9 points of scaling reference, and then only if you click the tiny little 9-square scaling box.

terrible.

This is a major defect and makes using later versions of indesign incredibly tedious.

• 4. Re: Scaling question
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

medmarketing wrote:

in CS5, you only get the 9 points of scaling reference, and then only if you click the tiny little 9-square scaling box.

As I said, you CAN drag the the cross-hairs to any position you want....

• 5. Re: Scaling question
                  capitainerie

sticking with CS4 has been the answer for me. CS5.5 and CS6 are nice to use for rare documents that either need more processing time (background) or some advanced feature.