6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 3:31 PM by A.T. Romano

HDV export to mpeg-4

anogr Level 1

I'm using version 9 of Premiere Elements.

I have an HDV PAL project that I want to export in mpeg-4 format. When I choose "share" (might be named differently - I'm using Swedish version) a get to select a few formats, but I can't find any mpeg-4 format. The most reasonalbe choice would be to first select "Computer - export files for display on computer" and then MPEG, but there isn't any mpeg-4. I want to use 1920x1080 resolution if that matters (HDV is 1440x1080).

Where do I find that? I know Premiere Elements 9 supports .mp4 export. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: HDV export to mpeg-4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on which device you plan to view the video on.

MPEG4s have a wide variety of file sizes and playback qualities -- depending on whether you're going to watch them on an iPad or iPhone, place them on a web site, use them in another video project, etc.

What do you plan to do with the MPEG4 you're outputting?

• 2. Re: HDV export to mpeg-4
            anogr Level 1

I just plan to view the video on my Windows PC. But I also want to be able to stream the video to my media center and tablet, but that shouldn't be any problem since they play all video files I have fed to them. The most important thing is that it uses a standard mpeg-4 format so that I can be quite sure to be able to view the video in the future.

I have no plans to place them on a web site or use them in another video project.

• 3. Re: HDV export to mpeg-4
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try Share/Portable Devices/iPad.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: HDV export to mpeg-4
                A.T. Romano Level 7

asdfewefs

You say that you are working with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, not 10, so I would like to offer some details on what I think SG is referring to since his suggestion is generally written (no iPad is actually written in Share version 9.0/9.0.1),

Share/Mobile Phones and Players/Apple iPod and iPhone, using the Presets = iPod and iPhone - High Quality.

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset

Video Codec = fixed at MainConcept H.264 Video

In the specific order written:

TV Standard = PAL

Profile = Baseline

Levels = 5.0 (this setting will enable you to make sure of...

Frame Width = 1920 pixels

Frame Height = 1080 pixels

Frame Rate = 25 frames per second

Field Order = None (Progressive) (you will see this grayed out)

Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels

That should give you your PAL 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second H.264.mp4 video. Please let us know how that turns out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: HDV export to mpeg-4
                  anogr Level 1

Thanks, it works fine now. Without your help I wouldn't have figured out how to do this. I really appreciate your help, and if Adobe is reading this, take a moment to rethink the user interface.

• 6. Re: HDV export to mpeg-4
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

asdfewefs

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.01 .mp4 workflow suggested worked for you.

Continued success.

ATR