2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2012 6:08 AM by Steve Werner

From Excel to Indesign

WendyIDEXX

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000001318 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000001284 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000001284     I would like to know if there is a way when I change copy content in excel file then the indesign file will change immediately. E.g.: so my client have excel files contain characters/numbers and they would like me to build a table in indesign document. Next day, my client change the numbers and they want to have it as fast as possible in our indd table. Until now, we did it manually (like copy paste each table from MS excel file). Is it possible to change table content in indesign (indd) directly from an excel file without losing paragraph or character styles?
      I lost the styles with this tricks
      http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6f41a.h tml
      http://forums.adobe.com/message/4088696
      (with JavaScript)

Thank you

• 1. Re: From Excel to Indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can choose to link the spreadsheet data and Place the sheet or a range rather than pasting it, and it will update like any other link. When it updates, though, the the formatting will revert to the formatting in Excel UNLESS you define and use Cell styles and Table Styles for your tables.

Placed spreadsheets are not linked by default, so before placing you must go to the preferences and change the option to link. You will probably wnat to change it back after placing the table, or all of your placed text will also be linked.

• 2. Re: From Excel to Indesign
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Incidentally, when using Cell Styles and Table Styles and updating your Excel file, you would still have to reapply the header attribute to rows. But in the about-to-be-released InDesign CS6, that header information is retained.