8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2012 7:02 AM by acresofgreen

How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?

kenbures

I have two Duotone images generated using CS5. One is of some trees, with "holes" cut out where the leaves were (I used a a mask to generate transparent regions where the leaves should be), and another Duotone image of just the leaves. I would like to combine the two, with each Duotone image retaining its unique and different color scheme. If all went well, the leaves would be visible in the transparent "holes" of the tree image. However, when I try combining the two, by dragging one on top of the other, they both take on the Duotone color scheme of the trees image. So I do see the leaves in the "holes", but they have lost their unique coloring. Is it possible to combine these two Duotone images in some manner? The Duotones are saved in the default .psd format.

Ken Bures

• 1. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Is it possible to combine these two Duotone images in some manner?

Duotone is a property of an image, so one image one duotone setting.

You should be able to achieve the result with Spot Channel(s), though.

Do both images use the same two colors or will the resulting image need to be three or even four spot colors?

Will it be printed with spot colors or is is just for screen display?

In which case you would be better off just using Adjustment Layers and Layer Masks (or even converting the duotone images to RGB), I guess.

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

• 2. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
            kenbures Level 1

Thanks for the response. I'll try your idea of converting the Duotone to RGB, if that is possible. I'm skeptical because I had to change from RGB in order to make the Duotone. The problem with using spot colors, or layer masks with different colors is that with Duotone the mix of its two constituent colors varies depending on the image density. To avoid posterization that would mean making lots of layer masks, each one slightly different form the previous, corresponding to the color mix for different image densities, and if spot colors were used, I think each such layer mask would need a slightly different spot color. To answer some of your questions about my two different duotones: one is actually a quadtone and one is a tritone. The quadtone is a good simulation of thiocarbamide toning, and the other is a unique red/yellow to make the maple leaves look like stylized autumn leaves, and stand out from the thiocarbamide toning. I'm not familiar with Spot Channels, so I'll check that out to see if it is something that will work. The print will be made on an inkjet printer. With respect to the layers panel, I've flattened the two Duotone images, so they each have only one layer. I got the transparent "holes" by renaming the Background layer so it could be treated like any other layer, in particular it can have transparency, whereas a Background layer cannot.

Ken Bures

• 3. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Layers can’t have Spot Colors (as of now and I guess for the time being).

Creating Duotones Makes sense if one will actually print with spot colors, otherwise using Adjustment Layers seems to be the more prudent approach.

Your point on layer Masks and posterization seems a bit peculiar to me.

A duotone uses a simple Curve to translate the grayscale values to the values for the spot colors; a similar appearance might be able to be achieved in RGB with one or a few Adjustment Layers, changing to 16bit may be enough to avoid noticeable posterization.

Could you post screenshots of the images in grayscale and in the duo-/quadtone?

• 4. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
                kenbures Level 1

Here's an update. I tried your idea of converting from Duotone back to RGB for the two Duotone images I am trying to combine. It worked! I can now get a single image that has a "quadtone" image determined by one mask, and a different (tritone) image determined by the inverse of the mask. Thanks for the idea. 

Ken Bures

• 5. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

And forgot to mention: Spot Channels have no transparencies.

• 6. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
                    kenbures Level 1

My comments on posterization are probably not correct because I'm not sure how duotones are actually printed. If duotone is based on the concept of spot colors that don't mix, then my comments would not apply. But if the colors can mix, like they do when I print with an inkjet printer, then wouldn't be a range of colors depending on the mix?

I know how to take a screenshot, but I don't know how to post one.

• 7. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I'm not sure how duotones are actually printed.

They are printed as spot colors – how opaque those appear in the final product depends on the process and the colors.

If the result is not intended to be printed with spot colors maybe a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer would fit your needs for different colors corresponding to different luminance values in the original image.

cameraIconInsertImage.jpg

• 8. Re: How Can I Combine Two Duotone Images?
                        acresofgreen Level 4

kenbures wrote:

Post a reply using the forum software (not email).

Use the little camera icon in the reply toolbar to browse to the (saved) screenshot on your computer.