3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 11:15 AM by sarahpeller

Mysterious color application confusing me!

sarahpeller Level 1

Hello,

I have just recieved an Indesign file from a client that I'd like to apply some edits to. The image consists of a couple of black and white images layered on top of each other. They only look semi-transparent in Indesign, although their Opacity is set to 100%. I have the linked files in my posession and they are solid black and white.

Somehow, the old designer applied a color to these black and white images. I can't see where she might have done that. I'd like to be able to change the colors if need be.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Sarah

• 1. Re: Mysterious color application confusing me!
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

What is the Format of these images?

Check if there is any effect applied to it ? , Go to Object-->Effects

Indesign cannot edit the color of the imported images , like PSD , AI .... if these are the images which have been created in the Indesign then it's possible but you wrote you have the linked files hence I believe they are created in some other application and then imported in Indesign.

Can you provide screen shot and the 2 sample images.

• 2. Re: Mysterious color application confusing me!
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Indesign cannot edit the color of the imported images

Not totally true. At least for black & white images or grayscale images ( e.g. TIFF) one could always apply a fill color.

@Sarah – so select one of those images with the direct selection tool (the white arrow) and see if a color swatch is applied in the color swatches panel for fill.

You also could set a black & white or grayscale image to "overprint". This might  also be the case.

See this screenshot (German UI of InDesign CS5.5):

FillColorToImage_OverprintImage.png

A screenshot of the selected image could help. "Swatches" panel and "Attributes" panel open.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Mysterious color application confusing me!
              sarahpeller Level 1

Thank you, Laubender. That is exactly what I was looking for! Easy fix!