13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 3:58 PM by artefact16

iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability

cooleon

Hi

I am currently importing HD footage off a DSLR Canon 60D (h.264) into an old macbook with PP CS4. I have to render every bit of footage before I can view it without juddering. Every time I add a transition or title etc, I have to render again to view it cleanly.

It's time to upgrade.

I'd like an iMac. I know the cost arguments, but I am not interested in buying a PC. An iMac is cheaper than a MacBook Pro, and I'd like the extra screen space.

But I'm getting confused about what will actually happen if I try and work Premiere Pro CS6 on an iMac.

1.Will it simply not work? Or will it just not have as good as performance as it could?

2.Does it mean I would only lose out on the GPU processing?  With my DSLR footage, will I be able to watch it, judder free, without having to render it first?

3.If it does still fundamentally work, at what point would it start to falter? How much would I have to have going on in a project for it to need the power of the merucry playback engine?

4.Does anyone know IF a new iMac came out in the next two months, would it likely have the 1GB VRAM or would Adobe offer an update so that it worked with whatever the new iMac had. (eg the current top end iMac has AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB, yet is not supported by CS6 - why?)

Finally, why do Apple and Adobe have to make this so difficult?

Many thanks for anyone's help.

• 1. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
          RjL190365 Level 4

Since CS6 isn't out yet, we do not know for sure which "hacks" (if any) are needed. All we can tell you is that the HD 6970M will not be officially supported in MPE OpenCL GPU acceleration at launch.

This means that by default, the iMac with the HD 6970M will function only in the MPE software-only mode, which means that the GPU is barely used if at all, and the performance will be slower than you would expect it to be.

Speaking of the HD 6750M and HD 6770M, they are NOT the same GPU as the desktop HD 5750/6750 and HD 5770/6770, respectively. The HD 6750M and HD 6770M have much more in common with the desktop HD 6570 and HD 6670 (GPU-wise) since they are all based on the Turks core. The desktop HD 5750/6750 and HD 5770/6770 are based on the Juniper core.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
            cooleon Level 1

Thanks.

I've now read so much about PPro not performing well on a mac, that I looked at buying a PC.

Then I caught hold of myself, and looked at Final Cut Pro X instead. Then I played with a trial. I don't see what everyone is complaining about. It's a classic mac designed application. And so far I've been able to do everything I usually do on PPro faster and with more fun (as long as you switch the annoying skimming function off).

I've found PPro very functional. But it has always felt like a PC application. No visual intuition. No soul. Whereas FCP is incredibly intuitive. It lends itself completely to creativity.

My advice to anyone thinking of switching to PC just to keep with PPro - take a good look at FCP first. Remember why you love the mac in the first place. It's for different brains.

• 3. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
              RjL190365 Level 4

The reason why pros have complained of FCPX is that it is missing quite a few features that were included with its predecessor, FCP 7.

• 4. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                lasvideo Level 4

Cooleon, Ive taken a good look and I dont like what I see     Same feeling for the direction Apple is taking with its equipment. As a professional editor at high end facilities over my career I have certain expectations of software. FCP X doesnt not meet them. And Apple has veered in a consumer direction which I will not follow. I encourage you to use what works for you. I will avoid FCP X like the plague.

• 5. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                  nepmedia

ok, thanks all for clarifying! I have another new IMAC with the AMD 6970M 2G, trying to use cs6,it is not making any difference. No mercury playback support. This is my 2nd MAC in a couple months trying to get the correct config. They said it would work, but it does not. I guess it is up to all of us to actually try these things out. But time is money and I am losing many days of actual work messing with all this. Any new suggestions? I use Premiere pro at work so felt it would be best for me to use at my "studio". But we use a PC at work. I am thinking Apple does not want cs5 to work on thier MACs so everyone will be stuck with FCP. I may have to switch to FC myself, since I dont want to give up my new IMAC. Im sold on it. I had PCs my whole life, but wont go back. I may have to deal with SLOW and no real time rendering and no external production monitor, but its better than the alternative. We need to make CS6 compatible with AMD 6970M, on an IMAC, thats all there is to it. Any ideas?

• 6. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                    jasonvp Level 3

nepmedia wrote:

We need to make CS6 compatible with AMD 6970M, on an IMAC, thats all there is to it. Any ideas?

You could do some experimentation and see if the OpenCL text file works the same way as the CUDA text file.  I'm betting it does, but I have no direct experience.  I think it's worth looking into tho...

1. Open a new Finder window and navigate to the Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 folder.
                    2. Right-click on the Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app icon, and chose  "Show Contents" from the menu.
                    3. A new window will pop open; open the Contents folder.
                    4. Double-click on the file named: opencl_supported_cards.txt.  If it asks you what application to use to open it, select TextEdit.
                    5. Now... be VERY CAREFUL what you type here.  Add a new line to the file and on it:  ATI Radeon HD 6790M
                    6. That's it.  COMMAND-S to save the file, COMMAND-W to close the file, and COMMAND-Q to quit TextEdit.

Alternatively, if you're comfortable in the UNIX environment like I am, open a Terminal.app window and do the following:

1. cd /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents
                    2. sudo vi opencl_supported_cards.txt
                    3. Perform the above edit in vi, then save and close the file.

Start Premiere Pro back up and see if you have MPE available in hardware mode.  Bear in mind: you're not going to be supported by Adobe if any issues pop up due to MPE stuff... this is an aftermarket "modification" to your software.

jas

• 7. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                      drbanks55

Thank you!  Just tried that on my iMac, and it seems to work.  It recognized the system as being MPE capable, so I took a video clip and added a couple of accelerated effects to it, and it seemed to work as expected (rather than something untoward happening, like a system crash or graphics glitches).

• 8. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                        iranathancole

Jas,

I've followed these instructions precisely, and the "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)" option does appear however; when I choose it, my performance is significantly reduced.

It drops many more frames with this enabled and is not able to play a single video track with a simple fast color corrector.

I'm using a mid 2011 iMac 3.4 GhZ i7 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB.

Any ideas at all what I might be doing wrong or what else I could try?

• 9. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                          jasonvp Level 3

iranathancole wrote:

Any ideas at all what I might be doing wrong or what else I could try?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong at all.  There are several threads of people complaining about the OpenCL performance in PrPro.  I personally think CS6 (on the Mac, anyway) was released way too quickly and wasn't ready for prime time yet.  I've actually given up on it for the time being due to slow AVCHD performance and constant crashes.

I'd suggest avoiding MPE in hardware mode for the time being until Adobe sees fit to patch it.

jas

• 10. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                            hjk4300

Hi Jason,

Wondered if you had tried this on an iMac with the 6970M since the 6.0.2 update for PrPro.  It's disappointing to have this nice big iMac and not have the gpu helping out with the display.  They apparently increased support for OpenCL, and added a couple of cards, but not this one...

Hermann

• 11. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                              jasonvp Level 3

hjk4300 wrote:

Wondered if you had tried this on an iMac with the 6970M since the 6.0.2 update for PrPro.

Sorry, I haven't.  I don't have an iMac, rather a highly modified Mac Pro.  The write-up I did earlier was just based on an educated guess vs direct experience with the OpenCL capabilities of Premiere Pro.  Sorry if I misled you there...

jas

• 12. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                                hjk4300 Level 1

Thanks.  No worries.  I haven't had the nerve to install the update and try

the hack.  Will let you know if anything changes with that...

• 13. Re: iMac and Premiere Pro CS6 compatability
                                  artefact16

Yes, it works!!! I have the same iMac. Be sure to write ATI Radeon HD 6970M and NOT
                                  ATI Radeon HD 6790M.