3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 7:16 AM by Mylenium

Help: Ripple insert & Overlay edit sometimes don't work?

Wout-SMS

So I'm marking in & out points in the footage panel, and after a couple of overlay edits, the function just stops working, even after I restart the program. I have to first load other footage in the footage viewer, load my original footage again and then it works without problems.

I can click "Overlay edit" or "Ripple insert edit" as much as I want, it never overlays or inserts the clip in the targeted comp.

I'm running AE 10.5.0.253, on a Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1 system.

It's seriously slowing down my workflow.

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution for it?

I can upload a screen capture video somewhere if needed.

Thanks,

Wout

• 1. Re: Help: Ripple insert & Overlay edit sometimes don't work?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check your media cache settings. You are probably simply running out because the files are conformed over and over with every operation, even if they are based on teh same source. Probably some ugly bug that has been sleeping there without anybody ever noticing. If that's the case, then I'm afraid short of continually purging the media cache to avoid these overflows there is nothiung you can do. Converting teh files to a format that doesn't use the MC like Quicktime files might avoid it entirely, though.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help: Ripple insert & Overlay edit sometimes don't work?
            Wout-SMS Level 1

Hmm, might be, the files i'm using are H.264 MP4's. I would prefer to keep them this way, as I've grown rather fond of the format for the quality/disk-space/performance-in-adobe balance.

So quicktime MOV's don't use MC? No matter what codec is actually inside the container?

• 3. Re: Help: Ripple insert & Overlay edit sometimes don't work?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The CoDec still matters. A H.264 QT is treated just like a plain H.264 file. If you have the time and resources, still try this out by converting some material to QT Animation or PNG. That's the only way to be sure. One thing that also comes to my mind now that I think about it could be invalid timecode in your files. Since CS5.5 supports source timecode, it may frown on discontinuous TC. Try to work wuth those options turned off then...

Mylenium