5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2008 8:49 AM by Newsgroup_User

Bottom aligning text

Level 7
      Is there a way to make a block of text in a text field all align to the
      bottom? (Think chat-window) In other words, the most recently added text
      line will always be on the bottom, even if there aren't enough lines to fill
      the entire block. I can fake it by having the text start off with about
      20-odd lines of RETURN's, but this makes the text field scrollable when it
      shouldn't be. Plus it just feels like a hack-job for what should have a
      more elegant solution somewhere, but I can't seem to find it...

• 1. Re: Bottom aligning text
          Level 7
          Since you need the text box to behave in a completely different way than
          it was designed to do, I wouldn't consider it to be a 'hack-job'. I
          would call it 'creative coding'. ;-)

You could set the member's boxtype to #fixed (which won't show
          scrollbars) then switch it to #scroll when there are twenty one or more
          real lines of text.

I have a similar 'chat' text member, I just never was concerned with the
          text starting at the top, or having the disabled scroll bars before the
          it was full. I do employ a fairly simple way of keeping the most recent
          text at the bottom once it fills up:

member("SomeMemberName").scrollTop = member("SomeMemberName").height -
          sprite(someSpriteNum).height
          • 2. Re: Bottom aligning text
            Level 7
            > Since you need the text box to behave in a completely different way than
            > it was designed to do, I wouldn't consider it to be a 'hack-job'. I would
            > call it 'creative coding'. ;-)

It's weird when you think about it - starting text at the bottom used to be
            the standard back in DOS days (Well, maybe Apple DOS - Just pulled up an MS
            DOS Prompt and it starts at the top, though maybe it was different before
            Windows? I forget.) And most chat programs I've seen preserve that
            arrangement. Since I want this to not just BE a chat window but very
            specifically LOOK like a chat window (fits the style of the project in
            general, kind of a retro/futuristic Enter The Matrix type world), I think I
            should work to make that behavior reflect properly in the game.

> You could set the member's boxtype to #fixed (which won't show scrollbars)
            > then switch it to #scroll when there are twenty one or more real lines of
            > text.

Could work, though counting lines can be tricky if somebody enters enough
            text to wrap onto a second (or third+) line. Director seems to count the
            number of RETURNs in a text field rather than the number of actual lines
            when you ask for a member(X).line.count. I'll probably end up replacing the
            default scrollbar with my own custom graphics for scrolling, so that might
            not be an issue ultimately.

> I have a similar 'chat' text member, I just never was concerned with the
            > text starting at the top, or having the disabled scroll bars before the it
            > was full. I do employ a fairly simple way of keeping the most recent text
            > at the bottom once it fills up:
            >
            > member("SomeMemberName").scrollTop = member("SomeMemberName").height -
            > sprite(someSpriteNum).height

I think if I have the scrolling controlled by my own custom graphics,
            something like that might do the trick.

• 3. Re: Bottom aligning text
              Level 7
              The great and powerful Wizard of Lingo, Chunick, has quite an elegant
              solution to counting the number of visual lines displayed (not RETURNS)
              which also scrolls automatically. I bet that with just minimal
              scripting, you could adapt it to pad the text with enough returns
              required to force the text to the bottom.

http://www.chunick.com/director.htm
              • 4. Re: Bottom aligning text
                Level 7
                Dave C wrote:
                > ...which also scrolls automatically...

ok, My statement is not quite correct. Of course it scrolls down as you
                type (typical text box behavior). But if a script adds text to the
                member's text property it does not automatically scroll to the bottom.
                For that you need something like the code I suggested earlier. However
                Chunick's simple method of counting line (including wrapped lines) is
                still what you need. I think it would be easy to include some lingo
                which says "If this text member does not contain 20 visual lines, add
                just enough RETURNS to the beginning of the text to make 20 visual lines".
                • 5. Re: Bottom aligning text
                  Chunick Level 3
                  flattery will get you everywhere :-)

many of my finished scripts can be found here as well:
                  http://www.mediamacros.com
                  the one mentioned by DaveC is there too:
                  http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-1006687588/