6 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 2:00 PM by BobM1990

What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?

BobM1990 Level 1

Hi guys

Since I hear different things about creating for example posters etc. is this my question: What do you think is best to do when designing a poster or flyer (or whatever) with a nice background, bursh effects, pictures and text?

I do it like this right now:

1. Create the background in Photoshop
      2. place the background.psd in InDesign
      3. add the adjusted images of the artists etc. in InDesign
      4. add text in InDesign
      5. Save as PDF

Some say creating the whole poster or design in Photoshop (even cutting out the pictures of the artists and rasterizing them) is better than placing each of them separately in InDesign?

Anyone who has a good website or explanation for me to answer my question? Tips and tricks are welcome!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?
          emil emil Level 4

If the background is the same behind all images then you better do it in Photoshop because the file size of the background itself  when flatten will be similar with or without all images added on top of it. Other reasons that you may choose to do it as separate images is if you want the different images with different resolutions, for example if the background is some blurry clouds or some abstract gradients you don't really need to be very high resolution and if the images on top have some fine details you may decide to have them with higher resolution. The other consideration is if you want more flexibility with the composition in inDesign in case of eventual changes. So, it all depends on different things. The text you should do in inDesign.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?
            BobM1990 Level 1

In that case I've actually been working like it's the best Depending on whether there are effects to be added or not, I add the images in PSD or IND

And when placing images in Photoshop: rasterize them or not? Because I don't think I can increase them then if I would have reduced them first and then rasterized them?

• 3. Re: What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?
              emil emil Level 4

If you can edit the images placed in Photoshop as smart objects, don't rasterize them. However have in mind that unlike the linked files in layout programs, at the end, when printed or exported, the placed images will be rasterized with the same resolution as set for the document. The smart objects simply gives you the flexibility to edit and transform them in Photoshop using their native resolution.

• 4. Re: What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

For Me Photoshop is best for I do not have a licence for InDesign and its expensive. InDesign is a better layout program for creating multipage flyers and booklet.  For single page Flyer and Posters Photoshop can hold its own and do the whole job. With InDesign you still need Photoshop for InDesign is not an image editor. Take a look at my Photoshop Photo Collage Toolkit. http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html

• 5. Re: What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?
                  Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would say the same as JJMack plus the fact that Indesign does have a bit better typography control. But that point seams to get muddier as each version comes to light. If they ever add true multi-pages to photoshop and illustrator with the same quality with layers, type and effects, then it will be to the point where what ever your more comfortable using wins. But that may be a while.

• 6. Re: What's best: placing images in Photoshop or InDesign?
                    BobM1990 Level 1

Thanks to all of you for your input!