6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2012 2:26 PM by gold987987987 Branched to a new discussion.

4:1 Cadence?

gold987987987 Level 1

I'm trying to submit my video to iTunes and it was rejected due to a 4:1 cadence.  Here's what that means:

4:1 Cadence ( Long Form Content: Immediate Failure)
      4:1 Cadence means you have 4 progressive frames of video, and every 5th frame is a repeat of the 4th frame. There should be no repeated frames at all. This issue is often the result of a 23.98 frame video being converted to 29.97 incorrectly. When done correctly, you will see 3 unique progressive frames followed by 2 interlaced frames. Content should be kept native to the frame rate at which it was shot. This also can occur when interlaced content is tagged as progressive.

What's jacked up is that I shot the whole thing at 23.98 and edited it on a 23.98 timeline and exported it at 23.98.

I just checked my footage and it looks like I do have some 4:1 cadence...how is this even possible???  I thought this cadence issue comes from shooting in 29.97 and improperly coverting to 23.98.

Can someone shed some light on this problem...I have no idea how to fix it either.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: 4:1 Cadence?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Open the exported file with a program called Gspot.  About half way down the right side of the window, you'll see Pics, Frames, Fields.

Report back those numbers.

• 2. Re: 4:1 Cadence?
            Stanley Arthur Level 3

All I can offer is that the export module/preset you chose may not have actually been 23.98. It happens. Sometimes even by accident.

• 3. Re: 4:1 Cadence?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

gold987987987 wrote:

What's jacked up is that I shot the whole thing at 23.98 and edited it on a 23.98 timeline and exported it at 23.98.

I just checked my footage and it looks like I do have some 4:1 cadence...how is this even possible???  I thought this cadence issue comes from shooting in 29.97 and improperly coverting to 23.98.

It comes from 23.976 fps (aka 23.98) footage being exported from Premiere as 29.97.  You need to go back and double-check your export settings.  Something's wrong with them.

• 4. Re: 4:1 Cadence?
                gold987987987 Level 1

I think I know what's causing it.  The original footage does not have the repeated frames...but the same footage in the timeline that I have slowed down shows the repeated frames.  I guess this is nessary to slow down footage.  How in the world can I export this and it meet the required specs if I can't show these repeated frames???  It would mean I would have to not show the slowed down footage.

• 5. Re: 4:1 Cadence?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd take the normal-speed footage into After Effects and use the Timewarp effect.  It sounds like you may have slowed it down to something like 80% of normal speed, and Timewarp could handle it.

Remember: AE doesn't know about any of this 23.98 nonsense.  It calls a spade a spade when it comes to frame rates.  Work in 23.976 compositions.

• 6. Re: 4:1 Cadence?
                    gold987987987 Level 1

Yep, it's defintily the slowed down footage.

Some clips are at 100% speed and they look fine.  The ones at 80%, 65%, etc all have repeaded frames.  The 80% stuff has 1 repeated frame for every 4 frames.  The 65% stuff is 1 repeated frame for every 3 frames. 

I think it's BS that iTunes won't accept the footage.  It looks fine and play's back just fine as well.