6 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 6:17 AM by Marian Driscoll RSS

Exporting HTML

Space0101 Community Member

Hi, this is probably a very obvious answer for most, but I was wondering, can I just export a site to HTML, and leave the files with someone else who doesn't use muse?

What I mean is that I'm wanting to design a site for someone, but for a one off payment, and have somebody else update the site, but that person doesn't have muse. So can they work with them files? Or if I do a site for someone, do I or someone that owns muse have to be the one to update it?

• 1. Re: Exporting HTML
          Corey@Adobe Employee Hosts

Hello,

Your best option in this case is to provide the client with the original .muse file and assets so they can edit/update the original site in Muse.

Muse is not intended to be a code generation hand-off tool for downstream editing. We recommend you do all of your site editing in Muse, rather than exporting the site from Muse and editing the code elsewhere. By staying within Muse, you can continue to use the full functionality of Muse to update your site. As soon as you move to altering the output of Muse, there's no going back (unless you're willing to re-make your changes each time you export from Muse). The HTML code output from Muse is not optimized for manual editing.

Best regards,

Corey

• 2. Re: Exporting HTML

Thanks for your quick response.

So if I sell someone a site, I need to be the one updating it? It's not possible at all for someone else to use the files? I have this restaurant that wants a design from me, but they want they're current web designer to be the one updating it. And he doesn't use muse.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Exporting HTML
              topelovely Community Member

Corey@Adobe wrote:

Hello,

Your best option in this case is to provide the client with the original .muse file and assets so they can edit/update the original site in Muse.

Muse is not intended to be a code generation hand-off tool for downstream editing. We recommend you do all of your site editing in Muse, rather than exporting the site from Muse and editing the code elsewhere. By staying within Muse, you can continue to use the full functionality of Muse to update your site. As soon as you move to altering the output of Muse, there's no going back (unless you're willing to re-make your changes each time you export from Muse). The HTML code output from Muse is not optimized for manual editing.

Best regards,

Corey

Whao Corey! That answer is quite insightful. So Muse will be th new way to see web designing(Just like desktop publishing was revolutionalise). Hmm... It will be nice then to see MUSE integration with INDESIGN. A packaged indesign file for MUSE and Muse support for indesign file. So for low budget publishers that cannot afford Adobe DPS, the  MUSE/INDESIGN integration is the solution while still maintaining the integrity of the magazine/newspaper layout. Who cares about the codes - developers only. Hmmm.... Adobe keep it up.

• 4. Re: Exporting HTML
                Community Member

Space0101 wrote:

...So if I sell someone a site, I need to be the one updating it? It's not possible at all for someone else to use the files?...

If you use Muse, you are doing more than selling someone a site. You are turning them into an Adobe customer for life. You become something of a franchisee for Adobe. Adobe is moving from a software producer to a service provider.

Corey's response may be explained in two ways. 1) The inability to manage a site with anything but Muse is a great lock-in for Adobe to ensure continuous revenue for themselves. 2) No HTML generator (not even the more mature apps that have been around for more than a decade)  produce HTML that is easily edited by others.

Why do they have a web designer but still need you? Do they actually have a contributor/editor?

Many designers in your position use a free CMS like WordPress, Joomla or Drupal to serve clients.  That allows you to assign access to edit the site if you don't want to apply endless content updates for your client.

• 5. Re: Exporting HTML

Thanks Marian, I appreciate your advice.

I'm in this position because a guy really wants me to make him a website after seeing my example home page I made for him, however a friend of his who created his current site, he doesn't want to offend by handing everything over to me. He asked me if I can remake his site, and then let his friend be the one updating is site.

So I can apparently use CMS like you mention above? I'm still a bit unsure how that works.. I can design a site with muse, then use CMS to allow them to update the site? Is that right?

It's a restaurant, and they will just need to add event dates to there website..

Any more advice would be great.

Mike : )

• 6. Re: Exporting HTML
                    Community Member

Space0101 wrote:

...they will just need to add event dates to there website..

Very few people bother to visit a web site to discover event dates. This is something that is better pushed to customers via RSS, Facebook and/or ICS feed. A CMS can help in this regard.