3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2012 9:41 PM by Jackson Tom

New Build Feedback Requested-Hardware and Configuration

Jackson Tom

I am looking to build a new system that will be used for everyday home office tasks, Lightroom 4 / CS5 Production Premium (mostly Premiere with AVCHD source material) and as an HTPC (hooked up to 60" TV until I build dedicated HTPC). I will also be hooked up to one or two 24" monitors. I am looking at the following components:

CPU                    Intel Core i7-2600k

CPU Cooler          Cooler Master Hyper 212

Motherboard         Asus P8Z68-V Pro

RAM                    G. Skill Ripjaw X Series (4x4GB) DDR 1600

Case                   Cooler Master HAF 932

Disks                  OS (500GB Caviar Black), 3 dedicated 1TB Caviar Blacks for CS5 and one dedicated disk for other home office files

PSU                    Corsair Pro Gold AX850

GPU                    EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Blu-Ray Drives      Asus Burner & Lite-On BD ROM

OS                       Windows 7 Pro

I would be comfortable spending around $1,500 in total (I am currently at $1330 after taking into account 4x1TB drives, blu-ray drives and OS/software that I already have) so if anyone has hardware recommendations I have a little room for upgrading.

On the configuration side, I wasn't planning on doing any overclocking or RAID setup as my primary use will be as an everday computer with Lightroom 4 use every couple months and Premiere projects once or twice a year.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the hardware or if on the configuration side it would be worth looking at OC or RAID.

Thanks

Tom

• 1. Re: New Build Feedback Requested-Hardware and Configuration
          Zoop studio

Hi Tom, great set  up (i've almost the same) maybe a little tweak:

I would change the cpu cooler for a newer one like the Gelid tranquilo rev 2 (almost the same pricing, much better cooling)

If my memory is ok your choice of the cpu cooler does not fit the 1155 cpu socket

Change the gpu to  the GTX 560 ti 448 cudacores ( same price range, more memory bandwidth, more cudacores)

And I can recommend OC ing with you're Asus MB: 1 click ( in the Asus A1 suite) and bam... a 4,4 Ghz running 2600K, very stable, very fast.

More big fans for air intake and hot air output (again, nicely config. with Asus A1, fan expert)

2 PWM  fans, push / pull on the CPU cooler.( for the cpu cooler in combination with Asus fanexpert the fans has to be PWM versions)

Good luck, Luc

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Build Feedback Requested-Hardware and Configuration
            JEShort01 Level 4

Tom,

Awesome sounding spec. for what you are targeting. My few minor suggestions:

- to use this system initially as a HTPC you will want to purchase Win7 Ultimate; this will add Media Center to the feature set of Win7 Pro OS

- also for the HTPC functionality your will need a tuner; I would suggest a HDHomeRun LAN tuner (2 channel) if you do not have a "cable card" system and the Ceton PCIe card 4-channel solution if you do require a cable card

- finally, make sure the exact RAM that you purchase is on G. Skill's site as "supported" for your exact motherboard model

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: New Build Feedback Requested-Hardware and Configuration
              Jackson Tom Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up changing a few parts based on the above:

CPU Cooler to a Noctua NH-D14 (figuring with the ease of overclocking I should make sure the investment is protected).

GPU to EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 TI - 448 Cores (Fermi)

RAM to Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (part of package deal)

Jim, I am still trying to figure out the HTPC functionality I want. I am currently running XBMC and using unRAID on my media server. If I can pull in OTA signal (not sure as I may be on the wrong side of a big hill) I will cut satellite and go with a Hauppauge tv tuner.

Parts on on order and I hope to have everything by Wednesday at wich point I can finally use all of CS5.

Tom