2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 9:13 AM by mpc999

Faint outline in exported PDF

Clark Kenyon Level 1

I placed a 300 dpi image with a transparent background in my ID CS 5.5 (Windows) document, over a dark blue background. Looks great. But when I make a PDF (PDF/X-1a:2001) for the printer there is a very faint square outline around the placed graphic. It’s not a stroke. How do I get rid of it?

• 1. Re: Faint outline in exported PDF
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You stop using flattened PDF or stop using transparency in your documents. It shouldn’t print on a hi res device but X/1-a is about as dumbed down a PDF as you can get.

Search around for stitching. That’s what you and the printer (who should have known exactly what it was) are seeing. It’s the border where transparency meets the background.

On the very rare occasion that I have to submit artwork to Luddites (always with ads to publications where neither the client nor I have any control) I design accordingly and avoid transparency.

Bob

• 2. Re: Faint outline in exported PDF
            mpc999 Level 2

Does it print? It may be a screen artifact. How are you viewing your PDF?

In Acrobat, go to Preferences > Page Diaplay > and uncheck Smooth Line Art, and Smooth Images.  Re-view your PDF. Does the faint box disappear?