7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 2:19 PM by Jim_Simon

Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere

needles27 Level 3

I would like to set an in and out point on a clip in a timeline, copy that section, and paste it elsewhere on the timeline.  Can this be done without having to razor the clip and then copying?  Anyone know if this is different in CS6?

Pardon if this has been discussed in the forums - can't find it.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No you cannot, not without razoring. However in CS6 you now  can copy and paste the complete clip in the timeline by alt+dragging.

• 2. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Actually, you can.  Set your sequence in/out points and choose Lift  or choose Extract.  The keyboard shortcut for Lift is ; and for Extract is '.  Lift will leave a gap in the timeline and Extract will close the gap.  Target your desired tracks and then do a paste operation to put the extracted frames elsewhere.

Jeff

• 3. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
              needles27 Level 3

Thanks for the information - both of these do not necessarily accomplish what i am looking for, but I appreciate the input.  Maybe if I briefly describe my workflow, I can get another idea:

I have multiple 10 minute interview clips that I lay out on a timeline.  I would like to pull soundbites from the long clips and assemble those on a new timeline.  I don't want to pull the in-out completely out of the original timeline, because I want to leave the full sequence intact for other versions. And copying/pasting the entire clip doesn't get me anywhere.  Ideally, (and in FCP this was a basic feature) I would set an in and out which would highlight that section in the clip, hit CMD-C, go to the new timeline, hit CMD-V and there would be just the in-out section pasted in.  Sounds like this doesn't happen (won't happen in CS6) unless I razor and copy.  This is a negative for 2 reasons: First, it is much more time consuming to razor each of these ins/outs, and second this leaves my timeline in a shambles of edit points.  (Which, points to another flaw in Premiere, no match frame markers to know that these are razored edits and not different clips, and no way to heal these edits after the fact)  So, sounds like no workaround for this? I can't be the only one who edits this way, since it was a foundational element in FCP. 

Thanks for your time.

• 4. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The standard way to do this is not from the timeline, but from the Source Monitor.  Load the clip you're 'cutting' into that first.  Then you can edit as desired.

• 5. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Well, certainly a workaround would be Lift, Undo, Paste.  Using the keyboard: ; | Cmd+Z | Cmd+V

Just one more key than FCP...   (We won't mention having to target/un-target tracks -- shhh!)

Jeff

EDIT: Jim's response is correct -- that's how Pr was designed to edit this kind of stuff.  From the Source Monitor and not from the timeline.  But if you prefer the timeline, now you have a workaround.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
                    needles27 Level 3

Thank you for the input.  Jeff, your suggestion is great - an extra (few) clicks and keystrokes, but it is a workable solution.  I of course understand that basic workflow of loading clips in the source monitor, but laying out all of my footage (sometimes hours) on a timeline, putting second layers of video, titles, multiple audio tracks and then cutting that into multiple sequences is what works for my brain. 

Thanks again to a great community here.

• 7. Re: Copy in-out section from a clip, paste elsewhere
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

You can also load an entire sequence into the Source Monitor and edit that as if it were a single clip.