1 2 Previous Next 65 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 12:14 PM by Todd_Kopriva Go to original post
      • 40. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
        kankku56 Level 1

If there is no backup copy you can search the registry by the date changes has been made. If you remember even the day you have installed a program it is possibly to get a list of keys that are changed on that day and also exact times when chances have been made.. Because I am lazy I use specific programs to find that information. ( I don't want to advertise any specific program, because there are so many sufficient free and commercial  programs for that purpose. Today I'm using jv16 powertools that cost about 30 $. I am not saying that this program is better than any other corresponding registry tool).  Now I had to make a serious warning: Do not make any changes to your registry if you are not absolutely sure that you know what you are doing!

Of course you had to know what the original registry values have been and that's the tricky part. I think that if you take a copy of changes that has been caused by installing some program and contact Adobe support they can help you to write the right values back to registry. The same applies probably to most program vendors.

If you don't even know which program has caused problems and when this has happened you are in deep troubles and then it's time to seriously consider OS reinstallation. Even then you should not straight away format your hard disk without trying to rescue your data. In Windows 7 pro, ultimate and enterprise you can (I'm not sure if home edition has sufficient disk management tools) create a new partition and save your data there. That is needed if you have only one hard disk and only one partition on it. There are also both freeware and commercial software that you can use to create a new partition. If you can not boot your machine even in safe mode and want so rescue your data you can install windows without need to format your hard disk.

Summa summarum!

When some conflict has caused your important programs not to work and you have no system restore point made and no registry copies either, I recommend following procedure:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the program that is not working well.

If that doesn't help:

2. Uninstall programs that you expect to have caused those problems. Usually it's wise to start uninstalling from the latest installation and go backwards.

If that doesn't help:

3. Check registry and try to locate changes that have caused the problem.

If that doesn't help:

4. Save all your important data on a separate location (in another hard disk, partition or removable storage).

5. On that point you can try to repair Windows installation using installation disk. Unfortunately, it usually does not succeed.

6. On this point there is no reason to try to keep your old file system because a fresh installation of Windows force you anyway reinstall all programs. So now it is time to format your boot disk if you want to.

Usually first two steps are sufficient to solve problems caused by software conflicts. Further steps are depending on your ability and knowledge.

• 41. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Couple of things.  First, the general recommendation is not to partition your drives.  Second, it's also recommended that anyone reinstalling the OS would backup wanted or needed files before doing so.  An external drive can be used, DVDs or BDs can be used, a big enough thumb drive, another computer, etc.  And third, formatting is par for the course when installing the OS.  Windows does it by default.  It's the best way to ensure you really are starting clean, with nothing left over that might interfere.

Now if you have the skills to undo any damage caused by installing software that interferes with Adobe products, whether commercial or open source, go right ahead and do so.  If you have experience with a specific software package and can explain step by step the process to others, go ahead and do so.  But barring that, suggesting a reformat and reinstall is still a valid general option when things get out of hand, especially when the user's technical skill is unknown.  The reason Harm goes straight for option 6 is because from experience, 3 is beyond the ken of most editors and 1, 2 and 5 simply do not solve the problems where K-Lite is concerned.

• 42. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
            kankku56 Level 1

You are right. If you have many hard disks, removable storage etc (DVD and BD disks are usable if you have a very small amount of data to save).  If you have not and are in a desperate situation, creating a new partition and saving data there, is a considerable alternative and anyway better than just format your disk and loose all your data. I have a bit different opinion about partitioning hard disks. I have a RAID with multiple disks and it is much faster to check and defragment  for example three 2TB partitions, than one 6TB partition. On different partitions you can also define different allocation unit size depending on the size of files you are operating with each partition.

Installing Windows without formatting hard disk is useful in situations, where you can not boot up your computer and have no possibility to put your hard disk to another computer to rescue your data. Otherwise it is pointless and i agree that formatting hard disk and installing OS in a clean partition is the best solution.

What comes to K-lite problems (and in general program conflicts with Adobe's products), I have very little more to say. I've never encountered problems described here. If problems occur and I found some solution, I will return to subject. Actually I came to this discussion accidentally. My meaning was just to check, if Adobe has any plans to make it possible to use Adobe's suite to directly edit Matroska files. On that subject I have nothing new to say. Anyone can use what ever converter he wants. I have a few converters and depending of the need I use some of them.

• 43. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
              Jim_Simon Level 9

creating a new partition and saving data there, is a considerable alternative and anyway better than just format your disk and loose all your data.

It's better to find a way to save out your data than to partition the disk, especially a boot disk.

• 44. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                kankku56 Level 1

Of course it's always best to data backups in a totally different storage outside of your pc. I am using external hard disks and another pc depending on how often I had to reach that data. The most important information I have backed up in 3-4 different storages.

About partitioning... well I have always made at least two partition in my pc. Even now when I have many disks. My opinion is that making a separate boot partition for OS and basic programs and one or more partitions for secondary programs and data is the best way to easily survive without the loss of data in situations when your pc is in a nonbootable state.

If your data is in different partition you can quickly format boot partition and reinstall OS without need to make backup copies with a cripple machine. I never save anything in boot disk, not even temporarily. It's very time consuming to recover data from a corrupted partition.

Well, about that K-lite. Like I said, I've never had any problems with it. The problem sounds interesting anyway. I understood that the problem has been widely discussed in Adobe forums. I have not been following those conversations. It would be interesting to focus on that matter. I just don't know What kind of problems they are. I uninstalled and reinstalled my K-lite packs to check those registry changes it made, but superficial examination gave me no clue for any kind of problems. I had no time to make any deeper analysis, but Premiere and AE seem to work as they should. I would like to hear a bit more exact description. How and in what kind of situations those problems occur. I could try to reach the same kind of situation on my VM and try to find out what's going on: Can you send me a link or describe yourself a bit more about the problem?

• 45. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Start with e.g. 'K-Lite issues' search and sooner or later you'll find something like this or that to explore.

• 46. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

My opinion is that making a separate boot partition for OS and basic programs and one or more partitions for secondary programs and data is the best way to easily survive without the loss of data in situations when your pc is in a nonbootable state.

I (and I think most here) would disagree.  Partitioning does not spread out the load, and can actually slow things down if you start treating the partition as two separate drives (which is how it appears in Explorer).

To prevent data loss in the event of the machine becoming non-bootable, you make regular backups of critical data, you don't partition.

• 47. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                      kankku56 Level 1

The main reason for me to make different partitions on my RAID arrays is of course, that I hate 10 - 20 TB monster partitions. Also the smaller the cluster size is, the bigger file allocation table (FAT) will be. The bigger the FAT is, the slower the operation system works with the disk.  In boot partition I use a small cluster size, in media partition maximal. I also need to have at least on FAT 32 partition for VM testing purposes.

I agree that just for backup purposes a separate partition is needed only if you have only one hard disk and no other storage for backups.

• 48. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

I hate 10 - 20 TB monster partitions.

So use fewer disks.  You can create multiple arrays on the same card.  It's better than partitioning.

I agree that just for backup purposes a separate partition is needed only if you have only one hard disk and no other storage for backups.

Not even then.  You can buy pretty big thumb drives these days.  And blank DVDs for data backup are pretty cheap.

The point is, DO NOT PARTITION, not for any reason.

• 49. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                          kankku56 Level 1

The reson to use RAID 0 is to gain speed. If you use fewer disks you loose speed. And what is the reason to anticipate partitioning? I really don't understand. Do you really think that partitioning is doing some harm to your system? Can you tell me what kind of harm can it do,  and in  what kind of situation?

• 50. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                            kankku56 Level 1

If you are having a workstation and problems occur, the most comfortable solution is always: DO NOT DO IT!

The most simple way to avoid problems and conflicts is not to push the power button.  If you, for some purpose, do open your PC and try do do something with it, you can end up in troubles.

What do your advice: "DO NOT PARTITION, not for any reason" means?

Microsoft offers you a method to create a storage system that suits your needs. Why not to use it?

What comes to the problem with K lite packs. My opinion (nothing more than an opinion), is that the problem is in software protection system. I just studied, only superficially, my registry and noticed some null embedded keys (Minnesota Dolby key for example). The problem in those kind of keys is, that Windows 32 API can't handle such keys. To moderate such strings you had to use native NT32 API. So why do you need to format your disk and by that way repair your Adobe installation if it corrupts? Because windows simply can not change registry keys with null embedded names.

There is also a deeper problem. To protect a program against piracy, you can locate some files on hard disk by such a way, that they can not be moved or copied. In that case there it's nothing much to do.

When you install a program (like K-lite), you make changes in windows registry. If changes by any reason can not be made,  there will be  a possible conflict.

In K-lite and Adobe conflict I had to admit Mr Millaard's solution: If you want to use Adobe's programs, do not install any other codecs. In fact: do not install anything but OS and Adobe's programs. Doing so you have a clean workstation with minimal conflicts"

• 51. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

Do you really think that partitioning is doing some harm to your system?

No, I don't think it does any harm, per se.  But it does slow things down and does increase the chance of data loss.

The reason RAID 0 is faster is because it spreads the load out over several disks.  When you partition, you do the opposite. You consolidate a load that would normally be spread across several disks onto one disk (or in this case, one array).  It somewhat defeats the purpose.

Partitions also increase the chance of data loss.  If you store A, B and C on three partitions instead of three drives, and that drive goes kaput, you could lose all three, instead of just the one that was on the faulty drive.

RAID 0 also increases the chance of data loss with the number of drives in the array.

So it's just all over a bad idea to partition.  (And not the best idea to use RAID 0.)

• 52. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                Jim_Simon Level 9

Why not to use it?

Because there are better ways to meet those needs, ways which do not suffer the drawbacks of partitioning.

• 53. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                  kankku56 Level 1

Obviously you  Mr Simon are an expert on data storage systems. Now I am still strongly disagreeing your opinion. That doesn't mean that I don't respect your point of view. I just have  a totally different opinion.

Partitioning does not change hardware RAID by any way. It does not make the system work slower or faster. Actually it has nothing to do with it.

Partitioning really (as you pointed out) changes the way windows deals with the files. Yes, it is much slower to move a file from a partition to another. Moving it on the other hand defragments it. After defragmenting you can usually reach that file 10 -20 times faster. Of course you can defragment your hard disks (or just defragment certain files), but it is a very time consuming procedure with a 10 - 20 TB disk.

I think that there is no correct solution to this question. Partitioning your disks is not a standard procedure recommended for everybody. My opinion is: by partitioning you can gain benefits if you know what you are doing.

I hope that you tell me how partitioning can increase possibility of data loss. I can not imagine any such situation.

• 54. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Imagine a huge parking lot (a single partition) and you want to park your car. Simple, find an empty place and park it. EOS.

Now the next time you come to that parking lot, you find an attendant (the OS partition manager) first asking you what you want to do here and then telling you that things have changed. The previous huge parking lot has been split up into numerous parking lots (partitioned) and you have to drive around the building to parking lot P3 and enter there. So you have to reverse, drive around the building and enter lot P3 (not P2 or P4, so be attentive) and find an empty slot to park your car.

In the back of your mind you think: 'What?' Why do they have to make it so complicated to simply park your car? There is no more parking space, and it takes me more time to drive around the building and find the correct entrance, not to mention the extra mileage and the 'wear-and-tear' of my car. And let's not forget the attendant, required to tell me the new situation. When everybody has to cut costs, due to the financial crisis, these idiots HIRE a new guy, increasing overhead and they have no discernible benefit for the guys who want to simply park their car.

That is in a nutshell what partitioning does. It increases overhead, it increases delays, it increases inefficiency, it increases 'wear-and-tear' on your disks.

• 55. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                      kankku56 Level 1

Do you mean that all parking problems could be solved by creating one huge global parking place?

Ok a cheap joke.

Seriously speaking, adressing in a data matrix (your computer's name space)is not depending on partitioning. The length of a filename or the length of path to that file is not an issue. Nor is partitioning an issue. There is nobody asking anything in your computer. There is only a data matrix, that contains information. It doesn't matter if data is located here or there. Files have an adress and your pc finds those files by using their location in that data matrix.

So what has a partition manager to do in that process. In principle it tells to your cpu that there is another data matrix. It gives adresses. That process takes nanoseconds (depending on your hardware). In no case it slows down your pc so much that you can see the difference.

I undrestand very well, that the simpiest way to do things is usually the best way. What comes to partitioning hard disks the simplest solution is best in most cases, but not always. Saying, that partitioning is always wrong, means in fact, that there are a lot of naughty people who are creating software and hardware based systems to make your computer ineffective. Does that sound realistic?

I find partitiong as a tool. A tool like a hammer. You can benefit a hammer, but you can also damage your thumb with it.

• 56. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Nor is partitioning an issue. There is nobody asking anything in your computer. There is only a data matrix, that contains information. It doesn't matter if data is located here or there. Files have an adress and your pc finds those files by using their location in that data matrix.

You are overlooking the most important drawback of partitioning: The extra distance the heads need to move to slower parts of the disk and back and the increased access times, increasing wear-and-tear on the mechanical parts, slowing R/W on all but the primary partition and reducing efficiency. The transfer rates can decrease by as much as 50% due to partitioning and shorten the life-span of the disk significantly.

• 57. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                          kadajawi

The simplest fix (that works for me, in CS6) is to rename the file to AVI. That's all. It won't take Ogg Vorbis audio it seems, but other than that... it will even take h264 video in the Hi10P format, which the built in AVC/h264 decoder won't support properly.

As for why use Matroska... it takes everything, flawlessly, and has extremely easy tools to mux. I transcode all my videos as my camera makes gigantic files, and there is no way I can save them without investing into more hard drives. At very high x264 settings the videos look just as good, but with significantly smaller files. I can easily create a batch to transcode audio and video and pack it into an MKV file. I did manage to do the same for the MP4 container, but it was much, much harder. MP4 lacks proper tools for muxing that are easy to use.

Also, instead of K-Lite I'd much rather use LAV-Filter or ffdshow. Both can decode almost anything,

• 58. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                            kadajawi Level 1

Ok. I did notice one tiny problem with this: It works when you IMPORT the AVI file into the project. Or when the files are offline and you replace them. But I've had Premiere crash with 2 or 3 AVI files in the project already. Tried to start it again, and then it worked. etc. Maybe it tries to open all the files at the same time, which can cause problems...? I suppose there is no way to limit this...

Some more testing: If you have the list of available clips that are imported already as a list, everything runs fine. Once you go to the thumbnail view it may crash, as it tries to calculate the thumbnails. It's not exactly ideal... maybe a different codec or splitter may be more robust when many files are opened at the same time.

Also while audio initially seemed to work... I believe... I get some horrible noise now, even though the source is AAC. There are some issues I'd say...

One more edit: ffdshow completely fails for video, it doesn't display anything if I use that to decode the h264 stream, LAV filter works best. Audio has the best chances of working when it is in a MKV container... AAC in the MP4 container worked when it was a stereo 48000 Hz stream... but at mono and 32000 Hz it fails, giving that noise. The same stream, 32000 Hz and mono, but in a MKV container works flawless.

Conclusion, so far:

Basically the basic trick is to rename it to AVI... that may or may not work, depending on the files and the codec. At least with the LAV filter splitter, I haven't tried other splitters. You may have to experiment which codec works best. It seems like by using AVI Premiere will let Windows handle the file, it will use whatever codec is the default codec in Windows. If you run into problems, try another container. It seems like MKV will give you the best results, at least over MP4.

What I haven't tried yet is if you can edit precisely, or if frames are skipped when you go back... this can also depend on the codec and what not, so please be careful, test, and let us know.

• 59. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                              Vikas Thakur

Just upgrade to Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
                                              It supports the mkv format and treats it just like another media file. ( It takes a bit extra time to encode it for your premiere projects)
                                              Though this is an old thread but many are still seeking answer to how to import MKV file into adobe premiere. Its 2014 and a lot has changed with Adobe products, thanks to Adobe people who are listening to our problems and suggestions.

• 60. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                                Jim_Simon Level 9

In my testing, Premiere Pro CC still does not support the MKV format.  Those files don't even show up for import.

• 61. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                                  Vikas Thakur Level 1

@ Jim Simon: You don't have to use Menu>File>Import for that. Just drag and drop mkv file in 'Project window'. I have done it many times ever since I upgraded to premiere CC 7.2.2 and it works.

• 62. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 9

Even doing that, I get a File Format Not Supported error.

• 63. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                                      Vikas Thakur Level 1

@ Jim Simon: I have no clue why it is not working for you, as far as on my macbook pro, it works easy as piece of cake. As I type this message to you, I am working directly on mkv file on premiere.
                                                      What I can think of is; since mkv is just a container it can contain many files of different formats, most of the mkv files I have worked on have H.264 Video format and AAC audio inside it.
                                                      The probability is that the mkv file you are using has an unsupported format inside. You should try with a few more files. Let me know if it works for you, meanwhile I will try with mkv files with other formats in it.
                                                      I will post which ones are not acceptable on this thread.

• 64. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 9

Same here, H.264 with AAC audio.  I did try several.  The format itself is simply not supported in PP.  That you have it working seems the anomaly.

• 65. Re: How Can i import MKV in Premiere CS5.5
                                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This thread is locked.

No discussion of piracy will be tolerated on this forum.

If you want to begin a new thread to discuss the import of a specific media type, without any discussion whatsoever of piracy, then feel free to do so.

1 2 Previous Next