4 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 2:58 PM by SkyStudios RSS

Need help with fixing a resolution problem

SkyStudios Community Member

Hello

I was working on a file to test out PS6, the file has several layers, 30x80 at 300pi,

in addition a friend came by and tried the same thing but her file size was slightly diferent, 29,99x80,05 28,346pi, she created over 20 diferent layers and i like some of them, is there a way to make them all 30x80 at 300pi so i can use them with the file i have?

Some of her layers are solid backgrounds hile others are photo frames,

cheers

• 1. Re: Need help with fixing a resolution problem
          Curt Y Community Member

This is all confusing to me.  Resolution is directly related to the image size in pixels.  Look at the height and width dimensions.

When you change  ppi (pixels per inch) that will determine the documents size, provided you do not resample image when changing.

So you probably should do a little research on this as it can get complex.  Your friend's number do not make any sense to me.

• 2. Re: Need help with fixing a resolution problem

the hight and width is almost identicle if you compare at the diference between  30x80 at 300pi, and 29,99x80,05    28,346pi

How she got this resolution must had been becuase she accidently resized her first file from 30x80 at 300pi, looks like a very small diference accept its a huge diference between 28/29pi and 300pi which at 300pi the image is huge, i just put her layers in a folder/group and changed the resolution for everything in it.

• 3. Re: Need help with fixing a resolution problem
              Curt Y Community Member

I don't know what pi is.  You are using it two ways in same sentence.  It is 30 x 80 p (pixels) at 300 ppi (pixels per inch)

You can change the resolution, but remember you can not add detail that is not there.

So if you change the resolution without resampling (check box at bottom of Image Size window) you will see the pixel size remains the same and the document size changes.

If you do the same thing and check resampling the image size will change and the document size will not change.  If you change resolution from 100 to 300 it does NOT mean you have 3 times as good of resolution.  It means photoshop as added pixels as a best guess logarithm.  Actual resolution may be a little worse as there is no free lunch.

As I said before it can get confusing.

• 4. Re: Need help with fixing a resolution problem

i am aware about the resolution situation, everything is already 1920x1080 and shot on a canon 5Dmkiii, im changing it for printing tests

and yes PPI is what i meant, i just wanted to know if there was a way to change the resolution but restrain the size do i did not have to re transform the the images, even though it says 300PPI and 30x80 xhen i dragge dthe layers on to my from hers they are huge now and i have to Tranform them manually

thanks