4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 9:28 AM by jtalanian

Odd layout question...

jtalanian

Hello,

I am designing some spiral bound manuals that will be half-legal (8.5 x 7 in.). My problem is, I am printing at legal size (8.5 x 14 in), and then I will be cutting them in half. So, to have all my margins correct (I am figuring about +1/4 in. on the spiral), how should my page layout be arranged? I think I am overlooking the obvious and suffering some species of brain freeze. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff T.

• 1. Re: Odd layout question...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I would lay this out as a half-legal document, setting the margins the way you want them, then I would use Scott Zanelli's fabulous script (InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files) twice to place the pages into a new legal-size file.

I'd add an extra half-inch to the margin for the spiral binding side, too.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Odd layout question...
            jtalanian Level 1

Thanks Peter. So, you are saying "document" not booklet, and no facing pages, correct? Also, if you would be so kind, what do you mean by "...use Scott Zanellis's fabulous script twice..."?

bold emphasis mine

• 3. Re: Odd layout question...
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Right, not a booklet. Spiral Binding is consecutive order pages, so you don't need to impose, and I'm presuming you want to finish with a stack of pages that has two books that you can just chop apart and bind, so two of each page on the same sheet.

The script places the pages from one file into another. To get two copies, you run it twice. The dialog that opens withthe script when you run it is pretty self-explanatory. If you've never used a script in ID, you also should read How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Odd layout question...
                jtalanian Level 1

I think it is going to work, Peter. At least the early tests of running the script twice shows me that I can take my half-legal sized pages and, using the script, insert them into legal sized pages have something like:

page 1, page 1

page 2, page 2  page 3, page 3

page 4, page 4  page 5, page 5

...and so on.

I thought I was going to have to hand collate or have a major issue with page numbering. This is actually an amazing script. But I don't want to get too excited until I actually print. I will update this thread with my print results or if any other questions crop up.

Thank you, Peter Spier -- you've been quite helpful.

Best,

Jeff T.