2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 4:10 PM by emil emil

the line tool color in the 960 grid system

kililio Level 1

Hi ,

I wonder why when i'm using the 960 grid , everytime I start a new shape (here using the line tool) it comes linked with a layer color ? (is it really a layer color?) what's that called ?

03-05-2012 20-25-20.png

why photoshop is always creating these embedded part to my layer ?

I also noticed that I can't change the color of the line tool so easily , let's say if I want to switch to "fill pixel" before using the line tool ... I can't it says the layer isn't editable... why ?

03-05-2012 20-27-12.png

so the only way to add a color to a line is to set it BEFORE I draw it is that right ? And if I want to make it pop more I could play with the "fill" option , am I right ?

Thank you very much !

• 1. Re: the line tool color in the 960 grid system
          Shan-Dysigns Level 2

When you use the line tool, you are creating a vector shape. You can't use any "fill" because that's for pixel-based content. If you want to change the color of a vector shape, just click on the colored square next to the shape in your layers panel and your color picker will appear. For example, click on the orange square to change the color of whatever you have in the layer titled Shape 2.

• 2. Re: the line tool color in the 960 grid system
            emil emil Level 4

kililio wrote:...

...  let's say if I want to switch to "fill pixel" before using the line tool ... I can't it says the layer isn't editable... why ?

03-05-2012 20-27-12.png

Read carefully what it says and try to understand it: "This shape layer must be rasterized before proceeding. It will no longer have a vector mask. Rasterize the Shape? OK or Cancel."

Your selected layer is a vector mask and you can't put pixels on it but only vector paths. Before using a shape in pixel mode select a raster layer like the Background or if you don't have such layers create a new one from Layer > New > Layer.

edit: an easy way to apply the current foreground or background color to a shape layer is to use Alt + Delete or Ctrl + Delete.