10 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2012 5:09 AM by black4536526

First few moments of the video render as just a black screen - Premiere Elements 9

black4536526

Hello,

I'm putting together a short, 8-second demo clip of a particular moment of my project in Premiere Elements 9. The section involves two clips which were taken seperately, but are cut in half with the crop function so that they both play on the screen at once. There are also some position and brightness adjustments of one of the clips to ensure they match up.

However, I have begun seeing strange behaviour when I attempt to render the clip and as so far I have not been able to get a usable copy. When rendered as a .wmv, one of the two clips is inexplicably cropped from the bottom up to about a quarter of the height of the scene, despite not being so in the editor. Furthermore, when rendered as an MPEG, the format I would prefer the file to be in, although I do not get the first problem I get an issue where the first 20-23 frames of the video refuse to play in an external video player. I tried both windows media player and VLC. Instead, the section of the video appears as either a black screen, a black screen with a white line on it, or, if the video timeline is scrolled back to the start, the last frame viewed. The music clip which accompanies the video however still plays during this section, and the error is not seen at all in the editor. Oddly, if one of the rendered files is imported back into Premiere Elements 9, and played within the error, the 20-or-so frames will indeed play. It seems it is only the Premiere Elements editor that can play these frames.

I'm utterly at a loss here. I don't mind too much not being able to export as .wmv, as it is not my first choice, but if anyone could help me with the MPEG rendering I would be very grateful.

The source files are AVCHD (.mts) files, at a resolution of 1440x1080. There is only one "clip change" at the point where the video becomes viewable again, but this is merely where I have split the same clip to perform a brightness change, as I have many times in the video elsewhere.

Thank you for any help,

Black.