Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newest Version of Flash Player Issues With Firefox 12.0

May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox just updated today to its newest version 12.0. After updating, every website was running slow or freezing. I eventually discovered that the culprit was the Adobe Flash Player Plugin. Disabling the plugin returned things to normal. I would like to still use the flash plug in, but have not found a way to enable it without all websites freezing. I am using a Windows 7 64-bit operating system. I have tired uninstalling and reinstalling the flash player and I have double checked that I am using the newest version of Flash Player. I have cleared the Flash Player cache, tried disabling the hardware acceleration option, and restarted my computer inbetween several times. I am offically at a loss for what to do? Please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

And that did not happen with the previous Firefox version?

I am on a similar 64-bit system, but I am not using Firefox, but the 64-bit version: Waterfox.  Can you try that and see if it works better than the 32-bit Firefox?

Disabling Hardware Acceleration did not change that behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that did not happen with the previous Firefox version?

I am on a similar 64-bit system, but I am not using Firefox, but the 64-bit version: Waterfox.  Can you try that and see if it works better than the 32-bit Firefox?

Disabling Hardware Acceleration did not change that behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling the hardware acceleration did not change the behaviour. It still would freeze every website whether or not flash was needed for that website. I will try Waterfox when I get a chance.

Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also forgot to mention that I didn't have any problems with the old version of Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your  opinion, should I uninstall Firefox if I am installing Waterfox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jennifer,

I've found that creating a new profile has solved many mysterious Firefox issues with Flash.  You might want to give this a try.

Make a new profile

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jennifer.jones214 wrote:

In your  opinion, should I uninstall Firefox if I am installing Waterfox?

Waterfox can coexist peacefully with Waterfox.  I have both installed, but never use Firefox any more.

Not only can Waterfox run in 64-bit address space, it also is better optimized during compile time than Firefox.  (For obvious reasons; Firefox is compatible with many old systems, Waterfox only needs to be compatible with new 64-bit systems.)

P.S. regarding Chris' advice above; Firefox and Waterfox use the same profile, so if that is actually the problem, then it will occur in both browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waterfox is working, Firefox is still not working. I have not tried to create a new profile for Firefox, but since Waterfox was made to work with 64-bit and is actually working quite nicely, I might just move on and leave Firefox. Thank you for all your help and I will be sure to pass this information on to anyone else using a Windows 64-bit operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you are having success with Waterfox; sorry I couldn't help with Firefox.

As I wrote earlier, you do not need to uninstall Firefox, but if you decide to do, make sure you don't delete any user data (Bookmarks, cookies, etc.), as they are used by Waterfox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines