6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 4:30 AM by Parviflora RSS

Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'

hlwaddell Community Member

Help...

I have packaged documents a million times before without a hitch and now all of a sudden it won't work! everytime i try to package a document in comes up with the error:

'cannot copy necessary fonts'

and then thats it, saves nothing.

HELP, going on annual leave and need to send this design file asap to sister company!!

• 1. Re: Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

More details would help, but it sounds like a permissions issue that ID doesn't have the ability to copy fonts from the current location.

• 2. Re: Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'

So here I am back from leave.... but would still love to know how I can fix the problem - where can I go in ID to check my permissions/settings? as it all used to work fine before, something must have moved or been selected or unselected.  My computer got upgraded so perhaps in the reloading of ID something hasn't transferred properly??

any pointers to the right direction is appreciated.

• 3. Re: Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'
              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Again, details would still help.

What's the OS? Is ID patched to 7.0.4?

• 4. Re: Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'

Hi Peter,

Its taken me a while but here is what I can find out:

Firstly I am operating on a Windows XP Profesional 64, Service Pack 2 and have CS5 7.0.4

...i have also stumbled across another discussion that you have also been active with regarding packing problems in CS5, you mention Helvitica Neue - all my work is in Helvetica Neue and also the packaging error seems to fluxuate and like many people in the other discussion it appears to hang just at the end of the process. Today I managed to package a file with fonts but it did not create a links folder or package any of the links?

I am absolutly stumped and out of my level of technical expertise....I am a little Jealous of people such as yourself who seem to have a very good understanding of all this stuff !!

• 5. Re: Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'
                  BobLevine CommunityMVP

You are running an unsupported operating system. XP64 is not supported under any circumstance at all this could well be the problem.

It’s time to move on. Win 7 64 bit is rock solid and Win 8 looks very promising.

Bob

• 6. Re: Packaging error in InDesign CS5 - 'cannot copy necessary fonts'
                    Parviflora

Hi thought I would update here as I have spent around 2 days trying to get to the bottom of this.

Adobe said it was OSX Lion issue, Apple said its not Lion as it works on other lion MAC so the end result was a fix by 2 stages.

1     re-start MAC while holding down shift key until the grey progress bar starts. when the MAC starts up close the system completley, this clears all the preferences.

2     I then followed the previous advice from the help files (I think from Peter)

"There is a quick and easy method for doing this using the keyboard: close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. There are two downsides to this method, however. First, you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow), and second, anytime you replace the preferences you will lose most program customizations, and using the keyboard method leaves you with no backup to restore them when the problem turns out to be something else"

Then tried Indesign and the package worked.

Hope this helps as it can be expensive and time consuming sorting this stuff out. I was previously asked to set up another admin account on MAC (by adobe help desk) and this worked with the packaging just the older well used account that caused a headache.