4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2008 8:29 AM by dwallbaum

MC progress bar

dwallbaum
      Gentlefolk;

I want to create a progress bar that shows how far the movie has progressed. The movie is a fairly long call center simulation, and some of these are 2 mins., some are 10 mins. or so. So and idea of where the user is in viewing this illustration would be useful.

I am trying to crib from the Flash help file, and have come up with:

-------------------
      var pctLoaded:Number = Math.round(mcMain._currentframe()/mcMain._totalframes()*100;
      bar_mc._xscale = pctLoaded;
      bar_mc._x = 0;
      bar_mc._y = 500;

----------------

But that generates the following error:
      --------------------
      **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=action, frame=1:Line 63: ')' or ',' expected
      var pctLoaded:Number = Math.round(mcMain._currentframe()/mcMain._totalframes()*100;

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1
      --------------

What am I doing wrong, and if that script above is debugged, will it create a progress bar that increments and decrements as the user works through the MC?

I will need to specify X-Y coordinates for the "bar_mc", but figure that is a simple:
      bar_mc._x = 0;
      bar_mc._y =500;

Thank you for any thoughts.

Don

• 1. Re: MC progress bar
          dwallbaum Level 1
          OK, debugged my progress bar, with the slight problem that although I no longer get an error message when the script is checked, neither does anything happen.

The following is in frame 1 of the Flash project. "mcMain" refers to content displayed in a scrollpane.

Again, no errors are generated, but I don't see any progress bar either. Thanks!

Don

-----------------------------------------------
          var pctLoaded:Number = Math.round(mcMain._currentframe/mcMain._totalframes)*100;
          bar_mc._xscale = pctLoaded;

bar_mc._visible = true;
          bar_mc._x=0;
          bar_mc._y=520;
          • 2. Re: MC progress bar
            dwallbaum Level 1
            OK, found one issue: the bar is not updating. The code works,but as the movie progresses, the progress bar does not update.

How to I prompt that?
            thx!
            Don
            • 3. Re: MC progress bar
              Chrononaut
              Hi Don,

You may need to put your update code onto a movieclip so it is updating every frame. If you have the code as is on the main timeline, it will run once, then not execute again.

Select your bar_mc clip and use the following code:

onClipEvent(load){
              _visible = true;
              _x=0;
              _y=520;
              }
              onClipEvent(enterFrame){
              var pctLoaded:Number = Math.round((_parent.mcMain._currentframe/_parent.mcMain._totalframes)*100);
              _xscale = pctLoaded;
              }

*note that this assumes mcMain and bar_mc are both on the same level of the timeline (not nested within different clips)... otherwise change the _parent. to the path of the mcMain clip (_root.clip1.clip2.mcMain).

Hope that helps!
              Kris
              • 4. Re: MC progress bar
                dwallbaum Level 1
                Kris;

You nailed it!!!

Dropped the code on the bar_mc movie clip and it ran perfectly.

A !!!!!!!!!!!!! MILLION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank yous!!!!!!!!!!!

Don