7 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 4:52 AM by Ned Murphy

image not the same size when I import it

jakob10

I want to import an image exactly the same size it is, but I can't do it.

anyone have an idea? thank you.

I'm using flash pro cs5.

• 1. Re: image not the same size when I import it
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are importing to the stage, try either deleting the one on the stage and use it from the library or with the image selected, choose Modify -> Transform -> Remove Transform ( I don't know why but Flash has been transforming them smaller for me when I import to the stage)

• 2. Re: image not the same size when I import it
            jakob10 Level 1

still doesn't work

• 3. Re: image not the same size when I import it

What is the image's resolution (pixels per inch)?

• 5. Re: image not the same size when I import it
                Sudeshnasarkar27 Adobe Employee

Hi Jakob ,

Try this first -

1) Put the following code in a new document and check the system's screenDPI :

import flash.system.Capabilities;

trace("Capabilities.screenDPI: "+Capabilities.screenDPI);

2) If say the output is 72 dpi , when you import an image , it appears that Flash resizes it to match what it thinks is the screen resolution and in this case its 72 dpi. So if the image has a bigger resolution  , it will scale it down.

You can try the following -

Create an image in Photoshop  with a dpi say 300. Create another one with a dpi 72. Import both of these into Flash. The first image will be scaled down but the second image will retain its original size.

The solution is to ensure that the graphic you import is of the resolution 72 dpi.

You can use an image editor such as IrfanView to check or change the DPI settings of the image you are using.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team.

• 6. Re: image not the same size when I import it
                  Kwangle Level 1

It's definitely the resolution setting - that does NOT mean the pixel dimensions - ie  179 x 178, but the default size the pixels display at which ultimately dictate the overall size of the image. An images size is the size of a single pixel (dpi setting) * number of pixels.

Flash displays bitmaps at 72dpi so if your image dpi setting was 144dpi it would come in half size. However, scaling it up 200% would correct it. Changing the dpi setting in Photoshop (or similar) - IMPORTANT with the resample setting turned OFF - changes the dpi setting wihthout changing the pixels of the bitmap itself, setting this to 72 means it will import into Flash perfectly. If resample is left on Photoshop will resize the image to different pixel dimension which is not required if your image is already correct.

If you know the dpi resolution of your bitmap - in this example 300 - you can use the following formula to scale it in Flash to display correctly:

Percentage to scale = 300 / 72 *100

That's 300 divided by 72 times 100

This gives 416.66%

The dpi setting often confuses people, especially those who have been working in print design. Think of it this way: if you had an image of 72 x 72 pixels at 72 dpi (dots per inch) and imported it into a print program and printed it out the image would be exactly one inch square. If you imported the same image with its dpi set at 300dpi it would print at slightly less than a quarter of an inch becuase the pixels are much smaller. Dpi just means 'pixel size'.

Hope this helps

Kw

• 7. Re: image not the same size when I import it

Those are the image dimensions, not the resolution (pixels per inch).  It looks like someone else followed up and helped you to resolve it.