3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2012 8:40 AM by John T Smith

XA10 AVCHD workflow

dh91 Level 1

Hey everyone,

As Apple is frustrating me to no end, I am slowly trying to get used to Premiere, but this means establishing a new workflow.

When using final cut I would convert the AVCHD footage to ProRes. This worked great accept for the large file sizes.

I know Premiere can handle AVCHD natively, so that was a plus. I shot an event last week which was around 2 and 1/2 hours long. This would be HUGE as a ProRes file.

So in Premiere I selected my preset, AVCHD 30 Progressive 1920x1080. First thing I noticed is that I have a red bar above the footage and had to render the entire work area for good quality playback. This took several hours.

Then when I went to export I tried to go straight to mpeg 2 DVD, but it would take something like like 10-15 hours, so instead I exported "sequence settings" which ended up being 1920x1080 30p .mpeg file. The resulting file is a much more acceptable size at around 29gb vs 300 as ProRes.

Try to bring the MPEG file into Media Encoder and the program freezes. Compressor on Apple's end doesn't do much better.

So i'm obviously doing something wrong, and was wondering what the best AVCHD workflow would be for Premiere.

Many thanks.

Dan

Computer:

MBP Core2Duo 2.53

8gb DDR Ram

500 gb internal

1 tb FW 800 Media drive

• 1. Re: XA10 AVCHD workflow
          Keith_Clark Level 2

Computer:

MBP Core2Duo 2.53

there's your problem. thats a pretty underpowered processor for avchd. i have a quad core 3ghz, and still is a struggle at times, but neither of us have a Cuda Card for MPE. (its not that important to me, but i dont mind doing edits unrendered cause i dont do anything breathtaking, yet). not familiar with pro-res cause i have neevr used final cut, but how long did it take to convert from avchd to pro-res? anywho, when i get ready to do the final export, i just set it to go overnight and leave it, and it works fine until i can get something that chews the avchd faster.

Then when I went to export I tried to go straight to mpeg 2 DVD, but it would take something like like 10-15 hours, so instead I exported "sequence settings" which ended up being 1920x1080 30p .mpeg file. The resulting file is a much more acceptable size at around 29gb vs 300 as ProRes.

i have a problem with this... you are essentially compressing your footage twice, which is never good. going to mpeg2 sequence settings first, is essiantially an intermediate format (and not a good one, either) may as well just encode it to avi or prores, you'd atlest get a better intermediate. but Premiere doesnt have a NEED for intermediates. until you get a more powerful pc, i just sugest encoding it, leaving it. sleeping, take a shower, eating breakfast, and you should be good as gold.

a better intermediate if your workflow requires would be lagarith avi, but i would suggest droping in AVCHD in a sequence matching assets timeline, do your edits, then export as mpeg2 dvd, and just find a way to occupy your time while it works. thats what i do for the time being until i can get a system like jim, or Harm has.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: XA10 AVCHD workflow
            dh91 Level 1

Thank you for the response.

I was hoping it was more of a methods issue, but I am aware about how frustratingly slow my MBP is. When I got it I wasn't intending to do major video editing/After Effects. Then I realized my "true calling" and now i'm working with HD comps and such all the time, and the lack of speed really shows.

I am waiting to see what Apple does with thew new MBP's, but I will most likely end up building a much more powerful PC/hackintosh and keeping my C2D MBP for mobile edits.

• 3. Re: XA10 AVCHD workflow
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>red bar above the footage

That means you chose the wrong setting... when you first import and before you do any work, your timeline should not have a red line

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html