6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 8:35 AM by Sean Murdock

Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message

dg2727 Level 1

I do a lot of scanning to pdf and will often have to add a newly scanned page to an existing archived pdf then resave it.

I have a very consistent workflow and use two screens. The folders that contain the archived files are always on my second screen while I work on the main screen.

After I have inserted the newly scanned page into the existing pdf very often I get an error message that the file cannot be saved:

The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

I am the only user, none of files are read-only, and I am certain that the file I am resaving is not selected (I can see that on my second screen).

Sometimes if I just click on the second screen to another folder it'll let me resave, but other times I have to close Windows Explorer completely.

I like to avoid renaming files: it's important to that the original filename be retained.

This seems to be happening a lot more with Acrobat X Pro than it did with version 9. This is highly annoying.

Any known workarounds?

dg

• 1. Re: Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message
          CtDave Level 5

The folders that contain the archived files are always on my second screen

If in Windows (a Mac user would have to speak to this for that environment) -

If Windows Explorer is "focused" on the file (i.e., file selected) or has "focus" on the file(s) parent folder/directory you will get the alert dialog.

Close Windows Explorer or place its focus elsewere.

Also, if the preview feature is used for files within a folder (or for files in nested sub-folder) you'll experience similar "speed humps" in the work flow path.

Was not always this way but OS updates (XP, Vista, etc.) appear to have given us some nifty new options that, coincidentally, pose some gotchas.

Be well...

• 2. Re: Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message
            dg2727 Level 1

I think you're right. I was mistakenly believing that as long as the file being resaved wasn't "checked" (selected), all would be well. But in the "details" view I use, a preview is being displayed.

However, even when I click to a different folder in my directory tree (so that the focus changes), this error message still sometimes appears.

It's probably 50-50% whether it does or doesn't.

Thanks.

DG

• 3. Re: Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message
              CtDave Level 5

Yeah - "sometimes" for me as well.

I've found that most times I can do a "Save" followed by a "Save As" and move on.

Be well...

• 4. Re: Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message
                dg2727 Level 1

I'll try that. It seems to happen in Acrobat X more than it did in 9. I upgraded to CS 5.5 last week and it's been happening a lot more since I did. Don't know if this is a coincidence.

dg

• 5. Re: Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message
                  DangCole Level 1

It is Windows 7 that is causing the issue - disable the preview feature in Explorer. This feature causes Adobe to open another process using the file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61510-preview-pane-turn-off.html

• 6. Re: Saving issues: "The file may be read-only" error message
                    Sean Murdock Level 1

I'm seeing lots of suggestions for Windows, but none for Mac. I'm using Acrobat 10.1.16 on an early 2009 iMac. Whenever I create a PDF I automatically do a "Save As" because it often reduces the file size. I would just re-save to the same folder and click "OK" when asked if I wanted to replace the existing file. Now -- and only about 70% of the time, and I can't figure out why -- I get this error message:

The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

The file isn't read-only; there are no other users; and the file isn't open anywhere else. I'm doing the same thing I've done thousands of times before. The only solution is to save it to another folder, and then re-save it to the original folder -- where it over-writes the original with no problem!

This only started when I upgraded to El Capitan. It's extremely annoying because this is something I do dozens of times a day. Kinda surprised that the problem has been known for over 6 months and Adobe hasn't provided a fix. Anyone?

Sean