3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2012 8:41 PM by TimeRemapper

Camera movement 'within one image'

VladThePainter Level 1

But is it a camera or perhaps just a null movement?    I have a high res jpg image of a painting in my comp.  Want to just focus on one portion of the painting, then transition (fade in-out, ect) from one portion to another then reveal the whole painting.  Basically, sort of a closeup to a full shot.  Tried camera-null, but it wouldn't work... or couldn't get it to do what I wanted...  Don't want to just zoom in or scale as of course that will blur and or pixilate the image...  I've seen the copy paste method, but can't set or anchor a point to a specific part of the image to only focus on....  How?  I know this is AE101, but can't find a simple solution...  Truly appreciate your help!!

• 1. Re: Camera movement 'within one image'
          TimeRemapper Level 4

I think I may know your cousin...The Impaler? Nice guy. A little harsh at times, but overall he's a go-getter.

It sounds like you just want to have multiple copies of the painting in your timeline. Each one having a distinct "Scale" and "Position". Then you would set keyframes for "Opacity" and fade between your layers. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

• 2. Re: Camera movement 'within one image'
            VladThePainter Level 1

Hey thanks for the response... and I'll tell Tepes you said Hello!   Well... That's how this all began... My comp is HD... so the image just fits...  I did try several scle and positions, but by doing that, actually blurs the image... as the camera gets too close or the picture out of it's dpi range..  I was hoping to be able to at least point the camera in that direction, somehow use a Null or something to just focus on that one region, then pan across...  Sounds like I may just need a much larger file to pull this off...'

THANKS!

• 3. Re: Camera movement 'within one image'
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Ah, I'm afraid you've run into the base situation where, what you have is what you get.

If your comp is 1920px by 1080px, and your source image is 1920px by 1080px, then if you try to zoom in on, or scale up that image, then the original data (1920x1080) will have to be augmented by fictional pixels. The detail that is missing will be guesstimated. This is a degeneration in quality. You don't want that.

You're correct to say that you need a higher resolution source file. Start with doubling or even quadrupling the HD frame (1920px by 1080px). Be aware...you will pay the price of computational time and resources for increasing the resolution.