3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2012 2:15 PM by G50.BHermsen

Workspace issue on dual screen setup with Premiere Pro CS5.

Tim_Effix

Hello everybody,

I just changed my graphic card from nvdia Geforce GTS450 to AMD Radeon HD 6970. I didn't reinstall any adobe software since.

I've got two dual-link DVI monitorsconnected.

I had absolutely no problem with Premiere Pro on the Nvidia but now with the new AMD I got some strange dual screen workspace bug:

If the 'program monitor' window in a project is set to be on my secondary screen when I load the project, the program monitor only displays a white rectangle and Premiere Pro becomes very unstable (unusable) and crashes on exit.

However, if I load the project, move all the workspace windows to only one monitor, save and restart Premiere, everything is fine with the new workspace. ( quitting Premiere after saving the project still crashes once though )

Windows is saying that the crashing module is Display.dll, and I once got this error message :

Premiere Pro Debug Event

Premiere Pro has encourtered an error.

[..\..\Src\Workspace.cpp-209]

I unchecked the "Import Workspace with Project" option, but it's still importing them on loading.

Catalyst Drivers are up to date (12.4).

Premiere Pro version is 5.0.3.

Has someone experienced that kind of bug before?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Workspace issue on dual screen setup with Premiere Pro CS5.
          shooternz Level 6

What happens if you reinstall the original card?

Why did you change from a Nvidia card anyway?

• 2. Re: Workspace issue on dual screen setup with Premiere Pro CS5.
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Catalyst Drivers are up to date (12.4)

Somewhat of a long shot here, but the newest driver is not ALWAYS the best driver

You may want to experiment with different driver versions to find out if an older driver works better for you

Going back a few years, my 1st video editing computer (Alienware when they were an independent company) had an nVidia card that would only work properly with Premiere 6 (as I said, a few years ago) if I used ONE specific driver... older or newer driver and Premiere did not work properly

If you do decide to do this, you might want to make a full boot drive image to a USB hard drive (or 2nd internal drive)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 3. Re: Workspace issue on dual screen setup with Premiere Pro CS5.
              G50.BHermsen

I had the same problem as you. What I did to solve it is flip flop my workspace. I had the video on my secondary monitor, and the timline and such on the primary. I switched so the video was on the primary and timline on the secondary. I've been editing for a good 2 hours now and no crashes! It seems that AMD drivers don't like to have video played on the seconday monitor.

Hope this helps!