25 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 4:10 PM by OwnsTheFunnyFarm

How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

OwnsTheFunnyFarm

Hi, I've tried following the Indesign Classroom in a book but I find it left a lot to be desired for anyone new to this e.g ME!!!!. So can someone please tell me how I can save the current InDesign defaults file on a windows and if you can please do so like you would, for lack of a better word or term, an idiot because I'm fitting that description pretty well right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated and you will forever in my mind be a god, thank you =DDDDD.

• 1. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Sorry , but which Indesign defaults file are you talking about?

Which topic of Classroom in a book are you refering to.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
            OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

Hi, im not too sure (I thought it was a stock standard thing, sorry) so I'll fust give you the instructions my book has.

To save the curren InDesign Defaults file, Follow these steps:

1, Quit Adobe InDesigns CS5.

2, Locate The Indesigns Defaults file.

. In Windows, the InDesign Defaults file is located in the Documents and Settings/Users/Username/Library/ Application Data/ Adobe/ InDesign/ Version 7.0/en_US folder.

3, Drag the Indesign Defaults file to another folder on you hard drive.

When you launch Adobe Indesign CS5 after moving the InDesigns Defaults file to another folder, a new InDesign Defaults file is automatically created and all prefrences and defaults are reset to their original factory setting.

Okay that's all of it and as far I can get is to the app data, for some reason my notebook doesnt have it and I've been trying to find other ways of getting to it but im having no luck. I would really like to avoid the Ctrl+ Alt+Shift thing because I'll apparently lose any saved settings that I might want to keep.

Hopefully that all makes sense, thank you for responding and your time =3.

• 3. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

In Windows the Application data folder is hidden , so go to the folder:- Documents and Settings/Users/Username/Library/

Select the "Tools" drop-down menu and choose "Folder Options."

Click the "View" tab.

In Advanced Settings, select "Show Hidden Files And Folders."

Click "OK."

• 4. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

Okay I've done that and tried the book instructions again, but still getting stuck at the AppData I still cant find it.... are there any other ways I could try finding it?.

Thank you again for you time =3.

• 5. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                  OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

Hi sorry to be pain I've just restarted my computer and its showing now so thank you very much for your help Manish and  again sorry for being a pain, your a life saver XDDD. Hoping to not push my luck here but might i ask one more stupid question, would you if the en_US folder changed names to en_GB?. Thanks again =3

• 6. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

"Library"? Manish, I get the impression the OP is on Windows 7 (if only through the Thought Transmission System that comes installed with this fancy new forum, because so far he failed to mention it). If so, here is the proverbial One Thousand Words.BMP:

app-path.png

• 7. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

OwnsTheFunnyFarm wrote:

would you if the en_US folder changed names to en_GB?

You can, but then again you can name it anything else you want as well. There is nothing special about the name "en_GB" (*). There is about the name "en_US" -- that's the folder name your version of InDesign is expecting to find. If it does not find this particular folder, it will be created a-new and filled with default settings.

Note that all obvious stuff you usually take for granted is also stored in this folder; starting empty will clear out your workspace, Find/Change queries, keyboard shortcuts ... well, see the folder list in my image.

(*) Not True, but only half. For a British version of InDesign (which is a purely hypothetical construct, AFAIK), this would be the "special folder name", and "en_US" would be as meaningful as a folder named "etainshrdlu".

• 8. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                        OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

thanks Jongware, ummm what manish has told me has helped ive just had to change it here and there, i just need to find out if it works the same maybe you might know. my book says document and settings\username\appdata\adobe indesign\ version7.0\en_US    dose    local disc (c:)\program adat\ adobe\ indesign\version7.5\en_GB    work the same by any chance?

• 9. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                          OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

okay i think i understood 1/4 off that lol sorry, and i havent changed any file names either. I dont know if they change anything from counrty to country but mines an Austrailian copy

• 10. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

@jongware , You might be correct but If you see the Post#3  the path that has been described is for the Win XP , (exactly the same if you remove , "Library" from there) , that's why I opt Win XP not Win 7.

@OwnsTheFunnyFarm , It doesn't matter weather the folder name in en_GB or en_US , the think it stores the preference of Indesign and the content would remain the same , the difference in the name is not the region but the language chosen while insalling , If you have a UK English version of ID the folder will be en_GB , If Universal English then en_US , with different language the folder name changes.

• 11. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please see Replace Your Preferences for the path information for all versions of Windows....

• 12. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

@ manish, okay that explains that but what about the local disk (c:)\program data\adobe\ indesign\version7.5\ en_GB dose it work the same as whats in my text book  because its currently the only way i can find it, there is no indesign in my appdata at all. thanks again and sorry for all the trouble im putting you through.

@ Peter Spler, i tried all that before i posted this but thank you anyways.

• 13. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

The InDesign Defaults file is in your user profile, as previously explained. These files are normally hidden in Windows, but Manish has given you instructions for "unhiding" them, which you've marked as correct, so have you managed to show hidden files? Have you looked in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.0 (for CS5, 7.5 for CS5.5)\en_GB\?

Perhaps the easiest thing might be to go to Start > Search and Type InDesign Defaults into the search field. Or maybe just use the Keyboard method -- Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift immediately after launching ID and say yes to the confirmation dialog -- if all you are trying to do is restore the prefs to the default condition so your lessons respond correctly and you don't have any useful customizations you wish to save.

What version of InDesign do you actually have installed? You seem to be using the CS5 Classroom in a Book, but it looks like you have a Version 7.5 folder which is CS5.5. If you have both, you need to be very careful about which version you are using and which set of preferences you are replacing.

• 14. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                    OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

manish stuff did help, but like i said before none of it is showing in my appsdata  like it should be. As for the book thats correct, and iv got adobe creative suite 5.5 design premium. Which im starting think the guy that sold it to me is wrong about it being fine to use with that book going by what everyone is saying and how none of it seems to be matching up quite right. As for the Ctrl+Alt+Shift like i said before i want to avoid using that so i dont lose any customizations, because from what i understand (i could be completely wrong btw) i need to go back at a later date in my lessons for collage.

• 15. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

I am holding "Classroom in the book" in my hand , and on page 3 where it describe the Indesign default file stuff,

nothing is mentioned about the (c:)\program data\adobe\ indesign\version7.5\ en_GB ,

the location of prefrences is the one mentioned in the link given by the Peter , which page of the book are you refering.

• 16. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                        OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

same as you but i found something in the link that peter sent before early onto day before i posted this, and when i try to do everything exactly as said I keep getting stuck here or there ive kinda mixed and matched everything till its worked.  If its any help my friend whos been helping where they can has told me that program data is the same as document settings...... and also told me that what ive come up with was the same as what you told then changed their mind but by then id hit complete, hence the continues annoyence from me sorry.

• 17. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

Can you find C:\Users\<your user name>\? Is there an AppData folder in that? If you don't see the AppData foilder there, you don't have hidden files showing. In Explorer you MUST go to Tools > Folder Options... and go to the view tab and enable hidden files and folders like this:

Show Hidden Files.png

As far as needing any customizations from previous lessons, that would be a first. I used to teach using the CIB series and the point was to NEVER use anything but the defaults so they could be sure that everyone would have the same settings. The only reason for saving your set would be if you've created customizations prior to using the CIB that you would like to restore when you are finished.

• 18. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                            OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

my app data is showing, what manish told me worked but like I said the adobe is not in there, ive only got three folders in my appdata and non of them are adobe or lead to it.

as for the customizations and needing it later i wasnt completely sure ive been getting mixed info hence the i could be wrong before. But non the less i would still like to now how to keep the default with out lossing my settings, but im happy to use Ctrl+Alt+**** ill try and get hold of someone from collage to double check bout the customizations just to be sure and just keep looking through forms to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Thank you and sorry for the hassle

• 19. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

Have you ever actually started any of the Adobe applications? The Adobe folders don't appear until you've opened the application, and the InDesign Defaults file won't be written until you close InDesign.

• 20. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                                OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

yes but that was on my old computer and my friends copy of CS. I just upgraded the other day and finally got around to getting my own copy, and i didnt want to start doing any work on it with having the indsign default setting backed up/ saved. Ive been attempting to do everything how im told and not shortcut everything like usual, that way i know what im doing.

• 21. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

Well, open and then close InDesign, and the default set of preferences will appear by magic, or open InDesign, edit the prefs to your liking, the close the application and make a backup set before resetting to the defaults.

• 22. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                                    OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

sorry peter i was pretty much asleep at my desk last night, and was thinking you ment had i opened anything in indesign and worked on it. I  have opened indesign acouple of times and the class lesson im up to but not worked on it, and ive also opened it sense what manish has said to do and just then to but it still hasnt appeared in appsdata. As for edit the pref im guessing  you mean edit\pref\general, i have tried that and then re done the steps in the book but its still not coming up in appsdata (hopefully thats what you meant for me to do), btw sorry if ive done that wrong, living dead currently. thanks for the help.

• 23. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

you are right , Appdata will have only 3 folder ,

1) Local

2) Local low

3) Roaming

Now understand , Go under "Roaming" ,look for "Adobe" -->"Indesign" --->"vesion 7.0"-->"en_GB"  , this has the Indesign preferences stored like  shortcut sets , find change sets etc.

However you can also Go under "Local", look for the same path now as told above , this has the Indesign recovery data details.

• 24. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?

Here's a view of the Explorer window showing the tree for finding the ID prefs on my system (If you look closely, you'll see I've moved the user profiles to my data drive, but that's very non-standard and not relevant once you find the users folder):

Untitled-1.png

• 25. Re: How to save the current Indesign defaults file?
                                                          OwnsTheFunnyFarm Level 1

OMG THANK YOU MANISH!!!!! I went through these folders last night and didnt see half the stuff thats now in there this morning.... dont care currently its working the exact same way. Thank you so much for your help, time and effort, and very sorry for the hassle, thanks again! XD.

@Peter, thank you for your help, time and effort too. Just had a look at yours too and its the same as what Manish said, so thanks again =3