13 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 2:18 PM by magneticjak

Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help

magneticjak

here's my system info -

Model: MacPro5,1, BootROM MP51.007F.B03, 4 processors, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 3.2 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 1.39f11

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5870, ATI Radeon HD 5870, PCIe, 1024 MB

----------------I only use one monitor, 1920x1200, 32bit color depth

------------------No Capture Card, No Sound Card or I/O box

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0

Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports

Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N

Serial ATA Device: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AL

Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDS722020ALA330, 1.82 TB

----------  This  2tb Hitachi is my data drive -  there are 600GB free (33%)

Serial ATA Device: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD, 223.57 GB

---------This 250gb SSD drive is my system/application drive - 120GB free (50%)

Serial ATA Device: OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD, 111.79 GB

------------this 125GB SSD  I use as a project-specific drive to serve up video very quickly when i'm generating Video material using the software VDMX

USB Device: Keyboard Hub, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x1006, 0xfd300000 / 2

USB Device: Apple Keyboard, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x0220, 0xfd320000 / 3

USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x5a100000 / 2

USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8215, 0x5a110000 / 3

FireWire Device: built-in_hub, Up to 800 Mb/sec

i've been using Premiere Pro for about a year and a half with no trouble, no crashes that i can remember.   I updated to 5.0.4 when it came out and experienced no problems.

I have not made any changes to my system (drivers, programs, etc.) since the last time i worked with Premiere Pro with no trouble.  The only  difference is that i generated approx. 52GB of new video files (mov. uncompressed 32bit 640x480 resolution) that i was beginning to edit in to a music video.

My current problem is:: there is absolutely no playback of video in 5.0.4.   not in the tiny project window preview,  not in the source preview, and not in the timeline/canvas window.   when i push PLAY, the button turns into a square STOP button, but nothing happens.   this is independent of project or file type.  The project i was working on when playback stopped is using uncompressed 640x480 32bit Quicktime files and one 44khz/16bit .AIFF file.   as a quick doublecheck, I just added a 640x480 Apple Intermediate Codec file and it also will not play back.   I opened older projects and none of them will playback.

My problem started while i was working on a project.  I was working on the project for probably an hour and a half with no trouble.  Then it seemed to get a bit sluggish and i could hear the HD churning a little more.   After rendering out a short section (just under 10 seconds), PPro did not play back the just rendered (now greenline) section.  Immediate playback of rendered material was the default behavior, and this was the first time ever that the just rendered section did not play back.   I then discovered that no video would play back at all--in any of the windows.   I can scrub through all the video without any trouble--all the frames are there.  

I shut down PPro, & restarted.  No change.   I restarted my computer.  No change. 

Realizing that the problem was likely related to a lack of space on my data drive,  i deleted approx. 500GB of files off my 2 TB drive, leaving just under a 1/3 of it free.  i checked the drive for errors, and defragmented it.  Premiere Pro still wouldn't play any file from any project.

The files are fine, they will playback anywhere else (several different file types involved in different projects).  The files are compatible with Premiere Pro (uncompressed VGA resolution Quicktime .mov), i was editing on the timeline with them for hours before all video playback stopped.   All other Adobe programs  (After Effects, Photoshop work fine).

I tried to find an answer/solution on these forums, unsuccessfully.   After uninstalling PPro and reinstall (did not help), and entire Suite uninstall, Adobe Clean, and reinstall,  neither version 5.0.0 or 5.0.4 will play video --the no playback problem has persisted.

I was running out of HD space --i had less room than i thought -- down to about 7% of free space, a bone-headed move on my part.  I'm not  surprised that playback performance got compromised due to lack of space.   But i'm shocked that the problem is persisting.   Fortunately, i had just backed up my entire system the day before.  (i've backed up many times before and this never affected PPro performance)

i tried to "CLEAN" the media cache for the sequence but it had no effect  (in searching the forums, i saw somebody else have their 'crashing Premiere Pro' problem solved by hitting this button).  I just took a look in the user/application support/adobe/common/5.0 to look at the "Media Cache" folder and the "Media Cache Files" folder.   Neither of them are empty, even after hitting the CLEAN cache button in the main preferences 'Media' settings window.   I don't know if this is the correct behavior or not.   (i'd expect a "clean" command to empty the folder, but i'm not the programmer)

This does not appear to be the ATI/5.0 problem that so many Mac users suffered (i was lucky to never have that problem).    Again, i've never had any problems with Premiere Pro over the last year and a half, until working on this latest project with the Hard Drive very low on space.   I'm 99.9% positive that's at the heart of the issue.

I don't understand why a clean reinstall did not help in this regard.  The problem is clearly PPro specific.   I found one topic in the forum where someone else experienced this same "no video playback" problem, but there was never follow-up from the user saying whether or not his problem was solved (or what was done to correct the problem).

I'd love to get some help--- seems to be a very rare issue, but right now, i can do no video editing.  btw,  i started a new project as well and imported a .mov file -- same problem, no video playback.

the weird thing is that i can actually still edit video.  i just rearranged my timeline assets and rendered out a minute-long quicktime (Apple Intermediate Codec) .mov and it looks and plays as it should.    This is really weird.  I'm baffled -- there must be some way to fix this.   I don't want to have to go back to Final Cut,  certainly not when i've already paid for Create Suite 5 Production Premium and EVERYTHING works except for video playback in PrPro.

thanks in advance for your help

Message was edited by: magneticjak

Message was edited by: magneticjak

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
          nic6020

I am having the exact same problem! Comenced as you have described for me today.

Sorry i have no help, however i will be watching this post for some wisdom.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
            magneticjak Level 1

running low on HD space appeared to be the precipitating factor?

i've got my fingers crossed, but, as i posted several days ago, and there's been no answer--looks like we might be up ****-creek.  hopefully someone from Adobe will be kind enough to chime in...

in the meantime, as i can't wait to work, i downloaded Motion.  It's definitely not ideal for editing, but, i can make all the edits I need, plus have access to a whole lot more FX, and simulated 3d.  I can get away with it because i'm making music videos so I've only got one Stereo audio track to deal with.  (that's all you can use).

it would seem that there's some piece of data stored somewhere that has Premiere Pro convinced that it doesn't have the resources to playback video.  Uninstalling/Reinstalling didn't change that.  The Adobe Clean Sweep didn't change that.  hopefully there's something that can be done, and somebody who can suggest a solution.

NOTE:: if some intelligent soul sees this::  i noticed that a couple of times, upon reboot, there was an: adobedynamiclinkmanager file in my trashcan.   perhaps a clue???

Seems ludicrous that getting low on HD space would cause an application to malfunction & never recover, even with brand new installations.   (seems ludicrous that i let my HD space drop way below optimum as well)

i'm going to install a Raid 0 tomorrow - perhaps completely resetting the HD situation will convince PPro that it's ok to get back to work...

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
              nic6020 Level 1

Well, I too was running low on my HD RAID 1 (down to 16gb). Then the no playback started. I then installed 2tb more but the problem remained. Frustrated and under multiple deadline pressure I uninstalled/reinstalled the whole suite. No change. I am running a very high spec pc built for premiere and have never missed a beat til this. So far, as a stop gap solution I downloaded premiere cs6 trial which is working BUT the space key and some other keys are intermittently not working or lagging. I am feeling stress of trying to solve this issue. Hopefully we find a solution soon. Best of luck.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                magneticjak Level 1

hi nic.  well, in some ways, it's "good" to hear that this issue is cross-platform (You're on Windows and I'm on OSX 10.6.8).   Did you uninstall the entire suite again before trying the CS6 Demo?   Or just uninstall PPro?  Did you run the Adobe Cleaner App?  Or did you install the trial alongside CS5?     hmm, i wonder if your "keys are intermittently not working or lagging"  or there's still some issue associated with video playback response?  

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                  nic6020 Level 1

Yes, i did uninstall the entire suite then reinstalled prior to the install of Premeire CS6. No i did not try the Adobe cleaner, perhaps i should of as i noticed all prioir premeire CS5 presets appeared again. The low HD memory does sound like the common precusror to our situation. The intermittent key/lag is fruatsrating and i know that there is nothing else running in the background. Maybe i just need to start from stratch and renistall my complete system. The PC is a high spec as i could of built as of Jan 2012 and i am running a quadro 4000 card as well as a black magic. Ok i am going to give adobe clean sweep ago and reinstall everything.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                    nic6020 Level 1

Success!! its working now.

This is what i did.

1. Unistalled CS5.5 suite.

2. restarted PC

3. Adobe clean sweep

4. restarted PC

5. Via -  regedit i deleted all all CS5.5 keys or anything Adobe CS5.5

6. restarted PC

7. reinstalled CS5.5.

8. Now working!

It appears that a registry key had gone a miss. By deleting them all (anything cs5.5) Not sure about how do it in Mac though.

Best of Luck!

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                      magneticjak Level 1

hello. congratulations

i don't have regkey, but if you could possibly describe it (what it does) a little, then maybe i can attempt to do the same thing.   is it deleting stuff that is not in Adobe folders?  i assume so.    do you use it to search for "Adobe" or any other keyword?   i had noticed previously that uninstall (& Clean) didn't seem to erase media cache files.   I'm a little nervous about doing this because i don't want to lose access to any of my movie files because they're proprietary format movie files with XML descriptions alongside.   Did you delete your 'Media Cache' and 'Media Cache Files' (both of these are folders on my end)?  The fact that Adobe Cleaner didn't erase those made me suspect that there's actually quite a few things that it probably doesn't get rid of.

i know it's extra trouble, but could you possibly try to answer a couple of questions for me?   by "key" are you just referring to any file that might be CS5-related, or specific file types (that would be found in a Systems Settings directory, for example).   Obviously our OS's don't work the same way, but it might also be helpful if you could give me an idea of how many keys you deleted & where they were located?  (ie, 3 or 4?, a dozen?, 30?, 100?)   oh, and what file extensions were involved?  .dll or???

i'm gonna try to do some research on regedit so i can get an idea of what it is and what it does - hopefully that will help me find something similar on OSX

kinda sucks that Uninstalling and running Adobe Cleaner still doesn't get rid of all the files that CS5 creates (especially one that keeps a Video editing program from playing back Video)

thanks for your help

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                        magneticjak Level 1

hi.  i guess the question i need to ask more clearly -- how did you (or regedit) identify Adobe CS5 specific files??

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                          magneticjak Level 1

so, i've appraised my System and User-specific Preferences folder and Application Support folders.  gobs of stuff there.  don't know how it looks on your end, but i'm curious if you deleted only stuff clearly designated as CS5 or everything  (ie, the entire Adobe folder, or did you target specific files?)  (clearly CS5 files on my end are far fewer than 'general' folders, and of course most elements of the Suite have their own folders)

I'm gonna give it another shot.  Now at least i know what's there before Uninstall and I can see what an Uninstall (and Clean) entail..

thanks again

----------

i just tried trashing the Premiere Pro CS5 .plist files in my User Library.  interestingly, in the first project i opened I was able to play a file in the preview window, and also rendered a small section in the timeline that played back (it took MUCH longer than usual to render out a very short section.).   Then PPro acted a bit sluggish, and stopped playing back all files again.   So, basically, trashing the .plist files reinstated playback ability but only once for each file in the project.   then, blah.....

Any support, Adobe?    thanks

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                            nic6020 Level 1

Hi magnetickjak,

I am not very pc/mac literate however, Regedit is the application in windows that registers/assigns a particular function (hex values) to area of the hard disk. This registry of key values represents a particular function of software and is listed in folders named after the respective software. I am not sure of how a Mac does this.

The premeire pro cs5.5 registry keys were recognsable as they were named and in Adobe folders.....even after using Adobe Clean Sweep.

A friend with some basic IT knowledge directed me what to do, stating that is a way (deleting registry keys) to delete software if its respective unistall application does not. It can be dangerous though. I backed it up regedit folder first.

If you can find out the mac equivialnt of the of registry keys then this might work.

I hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                              magneticjak Level 1

hello.   hey, thanks very much for writing back.  i got some good info with a search or two.  (info about what regedit is and what corresponds to it in OS X -- regedit allows you to edit "preference" keys for individual programs,  OSX's equivalent for these keys are the .plists in User & System: Preferences and Application Support)

what i ended up doing was uninstalling Premiere Pro (not the suite, just PPro).   Then i deleted a few preference files:

from User /Preferences/Adobe:

com.adobe.AdobePremierePro.plist

com.Adobe.Premiere Pro.5.0.plist

and from System Preferences:

the file:  Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs

and..

/.../Premiere Pro/5.0/...

AMEPrefs.xml     (i noticed that there's also a preference file in Media Encoder's own folder so i didn't sweat this one)

Debug Database.txt

Placeholder Preset.epr

PostEncodeCmds.pref

PresetCache.xml

Trace Database.txt

NOTE:

of course i don't know if deleting any files beyond the 2 .plist files in User Prefs was necessary, but...  it seems to have worked.

I then reinstalled Premiere Pro CS5, and fired up an old project and i've got playback of HD and DV files, and snappy editing and rendering,  so hopefully i'm good to go.   I'm just going to stick with v5.0.0 because i actually don't remember ever having any trouble with it, and i don't remember v5.0.4 adding anything i was 'missing' or 'needed'

hopefully, this thread will be useful for any future folks that run into trouble - and it's got a solution for both Windows and OS X

happy editing,

peace

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                                MacPro8806

Hey, I know I am bringing up an old subject but I have owned Adobe CS5.5 on my old macbook and it worked great! Now I have the Mac Pro and when I went to start editing again, this same issue happened to me. I have read over and re-read over this forum post for at least two weeks and still cannot get my video playing.

magneticjak: Could you be a bit more specific on the file and folder locations as to where you found all these plist files? I am able to find the first two but everything in the second half of the list, I cannot find.

Thanks again...I apologize for the Large bold lettering, I copied your screen name and It just stayed like until I pressed Enter.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.0.4 -Will not play any video- reinstall didn't help
                                  magneticjak Level 1

hello.  a couple of things:   you said you're using 5.5.   I'm using 5.0  (and 5.04 was the version i was on when the problem started).  i reinstalled to 5.0 and decided not to upgrade back to 5.04 unless i experienced any problems - so far i've had none.   I couldn't tell from your post whether or not you've done a reinstall of Premiere Pro,   but:  uninstall Premiere Pro, then delete those files, then reinstall Premiere Pro

i guess the last bit of my instructions/notes was a bit confusing----  the file "Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs" can be found on your root hard drive / Users / "your username" / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Premiere Pro / 5.0 /

i can't find those other 6 files on my system anywhere.   maybe they were generated as a result of deleting one of the other files, a crash, or a reinstall?    anyway, they don't seem to be on my system anymore so i guess they're not essential for running the program.   The .plist files are definitely the most important ones

also - check your graphics card - if you have an ATI Radeon HD 5770  -- there were some known problems with this card and 5.0.   upgrade 5.0.4 was supposed to fix this problem.   I assume it would not be an issue with 5.5 but who knows....   (i have a 5870 graphics card)

the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure you have plenty of Hard Drive space -- you should have at least 15% of empty space on your data/media hard drive  (i've seen a few people suggest 20%)

also:  i'm on OS X 10.6.8

good luck